Linked Server Troubles

• I getting one of microsoft's usefull errors and I am not sure how to resolve it. If you have a good solution please post it.

OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' IUnknown::QueryInterface returned 0x80004005:  The provider did not give any information about the error.

By running Profiler is it also error 7399.

I am trying to run remote queries on a linked server and I am continously getting the error. 

I have serveral servers (B, C) linked to this server and I can hit this server (A).   But when I go from A to B or C I get the above error.  All servers are SQL 2000.

I've searched microsoft, but nothing seems to address SQL 2000.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shawn

• Do you have the Linked Server entries in the "current" server?

i.e. Are you connected to Server A, trying to "link" to Server B? Then the Linked Server entry must be on Server A.

or

Are you connected to Server B, trying to "link" to Server A? Then the Linked Server entry must be on Server B.

Once you understand the BITs, all the pieces come together

• have you solved the problem? I'm experiencieng now something similar. A Linked Server from a SS2K Instance to a SS2K instance is getting the same error (

Server: msg 7399, level 16, state 1, row 1 OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' reported an error. The provider did not give any information about the error.

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' IUnknown::QueryInterface returned 0x80004005: The provider did not give any information about the error.].)

Note that the linked Server is defined invoking the SQL Server OLE DB provider explicitly, instead of use the "native" manner.

The above error arise running a query like :

SELECT * FROM LinkedServerName...TableName

Best regards

mel

• make sure the FROM clause contains all four parts:

linkedservername.databasename.dbo.tablename

• Have any one resolved this issue. Me too having same problem

When I execute SELECT * FROM [LinkedServer].[Database].[dbo].[TableName] i get the following error message: -

Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' reported an error. The provider did not give any information about the error.

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' IUnknown::QueryInterface returned 0x80004005:  The provider did not give any information about the error.].

Kindest Regards,

Ankit Peshwaria

• The following article helped us to resolve the issue:

Please note that you have to change the settings for the whole provider, so all linked servers will be affected.

If you are going to make the changes using Enterprise manager, you have to setup a new linked server to get to the provider properties.

I hope this helps you!

Kind regards
    Pieter
  • Pieter, the URL is incorrect.

Jason
    http://dbace.us
    😛

• Try using openrowset(provide=SQLOLEDB.1) to connect another sql server. if that work then I guess there is some resgistry issue.

Kindest Regards,

Ankit Peshwaria

• if you look at the dates this is a very old thread dating back to 2004, LOL as a matter of fact so old it was posted 2 days before my 6 year old was born. Try googling this error. I found this technet article right off the bat.

It says if you execute a DBCC TRACEON (7300, 3604) before you query it will give you additional logging.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314530

Twitter: @SQLBalls
    Blog: http://www.SQLBalls.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply