Linked servers query problem

• I have a statment that I run against my linked servers to get the sysjob info for each server and database. The problem I am having is when the cursor runs through each sever and there is a logon or if a server is offline it breaks the program with no results returned. Is there a way to bypass the logon or server offline problems and continue to run through the remaining servers? Code below.

DECLARE @ServerName VARCHAR(100)

DECLARE @STR VARCHAR(2000)

DECLARE @failure INT

DECLARE ServerName_cursor CURSOR FOR

SELECT SERVERNAME FROM t_all_server

OPEN ServerName_cursor

FETCH NEXT FROM ServerName_cursor

INTO @ServerName

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

select @STR = 'INSERT INTO temp_serverdata

SELECT ''' + @ServerName + ''' AS ''Host Server'',

sj.name AS ''Job Name'',

sjs.step_id AS Step#,

sjs.step_name,

''enabled'' =

CASE

WHEN sj.enabled = 1 THEN ''YES''

WHEN sj.enabled = 0 THEN ''NO''

END,

''scheduled'' =

CASE

WHEN sjss.enabled = 1 THEN ''YES''

WHEN sjss.enabled = 0 THEN ''NO''

END,

sj.description,

sc.name AS ''Variables(?)'',

''on_fail_action'' =

CASE

WHEN sjs.on_fail_action = 1 THEN ''Quit with Success''

WHEN sjs.on_fail_action = 2 THEN ''Quit the job reporting failure''

WHEN sjs.on_fail_action = 3 THEN ''Go to next step''

WHEN sjs.on_fail_action = 4 THEN ''Go to a specified step''

END,

(select email_address from msdb..sysoperators where id = sj.notify_email_operator_id) AS email_notification,

sjs.output_file_name

FROM OPENDATASOURCE(''SQLOLEDB'',''Data Source='+@ServerName+';User ID=USERNAME;Password=Password'').msdb.dbo.sysjobs sj,

OPENDATASOURCE(''SQLOLEDB'',''Data Source='+@ServerName+';User ID=USERNAME;Password=Password'').msdb.dbo.sysjobsteps sjs,

OPENDATASOURCE(''SQLOLEDB'',''Data Source='+@ServerName+';User ID=USERNAME;Password=Password'').msdb.dbo.sysjobschedules sjss,

OPENDATASOURCE(''SQLOLEDB'',''Data Source='+@ServerName+';User ID=USERNAME;Password=Password'').msdb.dbo.syscategories sc

WHERE sj.job_id = sjs.job_id

AND sjss.job_id = sj.job_id

AND sc.category_id = sj.category_id'

exec (@str)

FETCH NEXT FROM ServerName_cursor

INTO @ServerName

END

CLOSE ServerName_cursor

DEALLOCATE ServerName_cursor

GO

• Not sure what you mean by a logon problem. If you can generate an error that lets you keep control of the batch/sp you could work around it.

such as, insert a seperate small execute inside the loop that runs before you actually run your server query, trap the error, and skip to the next server.

• In my code I use an SQL logon. The problem is that there are some servers that do not share the same logon username/password or does not have the right to the specific tables.

The suggestion you gave, would that require me to setup maybe differnet if for else statements to test the logon and then run the code based upon where the IF statement landed?

• In my code I use an SQL logon. The problem is that there are some servers that do not share the same logon username/password or does not have the right to the specific tables.

The suggestion you gave, would that require me to setup maybe differnet if for else statements to test the logon and then run the code based upon where the IF statement landed?

• If I understand you right, yes. My understanding of severity levels on errors isn't what it should be- I don't know if they error you are getting actually fails the batch/sp. Using string executes I would think it wouldn't matter though. Give it a shot unless someone more knowledgable gives a better solution..

fetch...

begin

set @SQLStr = 'declare @x int select @x = id from '+@Server+'.master.dbo.sysocomments'

execute(@SQLStr)

if @@Error <> 0

begin

-- you got an error trying to access the server. handle your error here.

end

else

begin

-- do your query here

end

fetch

end

I stuck the variable assignment in there to prevent a rowset from being returned - probably a better way. sp_ExecuteSQL allows for passing of variables as output parms if you need it.

• I had the same problem, when I was trying to retrieve the backup job history for all our servers. Apparently

when one of the remote servers is not available or login failed, it exits the batch. Here is the workaround.

Make it as a stored procedure on the central server and then make a VBscript file to execute the procedure against each

remote server with the remote server name passed as a parameter. The procedure would have to do dynamic execution to accept

the server name and build a query to execute against the server.

Here is the sample script (note the use of "On Error Resume Next " that is the key)..

Dim objDataConn1

Dim objDataConn2

Set objDataConn1 = wscript.CreateObject("ADODB.connection")

Set objDataConn2 = wscript.CreateObject("ADODB.connection")

objDataConn1.connectiontimeout = 500

objDataConn2.connectiontimeout = 500

objDataConn1.open "DSN=audit","sql_audit","*******"

objDataConn2.open "DSN=audit","sql_audit","*******"

sql="select srv_name FROM audit..cust_server WHERE linked_state = 'Y'"

Set rs = wscript.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")

RS.Open sql, objDataConn1

Do While Not RS.EOF

wscript.echo "*** Server NAME :" & RS("srv_name").value

On Error Resume Next

wscript.echo " Retrieving backup data for Server:" + RS("srv_name").value

sql2 = "exec prc_backup_report_srv '"+ RS("srv_name").value +"', 'Y' "

' wscript.echo sql2

objDataConn2.execute sql2

IF (objDataConn2.errors.count ) > 0 then

' If we get a failure set the linked_state in the cust_database to 'I'

sql2 = "UPDATE cust_database SET linked_state = 'I' WHERE srv_name = '" + RS("srv_name").value +"'"

wscript.echo " Error Occured with Server: "+ RS("srv_name").value

'wscript.echo sql2

objDataConn2.execute sql2

end if

Err.Clear

wscript.echo " "

RS.MoveNext

Loop

Rs.close

objDataConn1.close

objDataConn2.close

Set RS = nothing

Set objDataConn1 = nothing

Set objDataConn2 = nothing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply