Linking tables btw databases, what if one is a Tempdb

• SELECT a.i, a.j

FROM pubs.dbo.Table1 a 

INNER JOIN 

northwind.dbo.Table2 b

ON a.i = b.i

Go

Here is an example of linking between databases, would this still work if pubs was a Tempdb, are there any issues with dbo ??

SELECT a.i, a.j

FROM tempdb.dbo.Table1 a 

INNER JOIN 

northwind.dbo.Table2 b

ON a.i = b.i

GO

• It would work if dbo is mapped to the same login in both databases.  This is an example of cross-database ownership chaining (see BOL).

By the way, it's not a good practice to create 'permanent' tables in tempdb as the database is recreated each time SQL Server is started.  Temporary tables should start with '#' or '##' so they are dropped automatically on disconnect.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Greg

• Concerning... this code..

SELECT a.i, a.j

FROM tempdb.dbo.#Table1 a 

INNER JOIN 

northwind.dbo.Table2 b

ON a.i = b.i

GO

What if "tempdb.dbo.#Table1" was going to be created by any user, like....tempdb.Andrew.#Table1 a or tempdb.Bob.#Table1 or tempdb.John.#Table1 a 

QUESTION : Is it possible to create a Variable or function in the join like ... tempdb." & @UserName & ".#Table1 a .... to cater for any user to make this join work with any user creating the #Table1 that joins to the consistently named "northwind.dbo.Table2" object????

What is the best practice in this situation ?

• You can not use variables in table names unless you build the entire query as a variable and then use EXEC(@variable) to execute the query.  You could query the sys tables for ownership and use the results of the query to decide how to build your query prior to execution.

Hope this helps

Marvin

Marvin Dillard
    Senior Consultant
    Claraview Inc

• Marvin is correct about not being able to use a variable for a table name, but I don't think you need to anyway since temporary tables aren't created with the creator's schema name.  If user Andrew created ##Table1, it would be useable by any user.  It would be referenced by the name ##Table1.

Greg

Greg

• what is the correct technique to do joins between tables when the tables Or objects have been created by different owners.

the owner dbo is from sysadmin role, a user(client) owner ( like Tim, bob, John) could be from db_datareader role ?

• I think I am sorted out now.

When doing read only query of a #temp table with a join to dbo.table, the different owners of the object does not matter.

This is not so when updating, deleting, etc

• I searched "Ownership Chains" on BOL...it helped a lot !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply