List all Usernames, Roles for all the databases.

• Hi shiva...

Your query looks really helpful...only if i could get thir running. Attached is the script i modified a little. I am getting error message

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 34

Incorrect syntax near '?'.

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 60

Incorrect syntax near '?'.

PLEASE HELP

• Finally i got the script running, but it gave me mssg

[font="Arial"]Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 3

Invalid object name 'New_Oil_Export.dbo.sysUsers'.

(365 row(s) affected)

(365 row(s) affected)[/font]

I RATHER ACCEPTED A GRID THAT DISPLAYED ROLES AND MEMBERS IN THEM. PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED AS I AM WORRIED NOW....... DID IT MAKE ANY SERIOUS CHANGES TO MY DATABASES??????

• Hi,

I can assure you that the script wouldn't make any changes.

Can you post the latest script you have, so that I can take a look at whats going on.

BTW, the script does just exactly that, Display a grid with the information.

Kindest Regards,
    Shivaram Challa
    (http://challa.net - Home of the "Excel to CSV converter & Browsepad applications".)
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Hi Shivaram!

Thanks for the response. Its put me to some rest as i was scared to death yesterday after running the script.

I code i excuted is more or less the same that is available in permission.txt file i had attached earlier. I did some light modification like removing spaces or so and it worked.

But i didnot see any grid as it didnot display one. It only gave me the message as sent to you earlier. Could it be because of executing the DROP #TUser table along with the script????

Please advice.....

Can i get a script / if you could modify your script such that i get something like this...?

Servername

........database name

..................database roles

.........................users

........database name

Many thanks Shivam....

• I HAVE ONE MORE QUERY SHIVARAM......

The sysdatabases gives a column sid which is system id of the database creator. How can we modify this such that we get the userid of the database creator?? Do you know this???

• Hi Rubinasd,

SID is a security identifier for the login, you can get the loginname from sys.syslogins table.

Name is the UserName in the corresponding database, for the corresponding login.

My take at arranging the script's output in the below fashion would be to create a "Pivot Table" in MS Excel spreadsheet and drop all the columns into "Row Area".

Servername

........database name

........database name

Kindest Regards,
    Shivaram Challa
    (http://challa.net - Home of the "Excel to CSV converter & Browsepad applications".)

• Can someone post the modified script for 2008?

• adam (4/6/2009)

Can someone post the modified script for 2008?

Hi Adam,

I made changes to the code so that it would work on 2008 as well. Post back if you see any issues.

I have attached the updated script.

updated the if statement to include version 10.xx

Kindest Regards,
    Shivaram Challa

• Thanks!

Could someone post a screenshot of the expected output of the script would be?

I have run the script on 2008, no errors, but there is no output. The server has several databases with a couple of users. So not sure what the issue could be.

• adam (4/15/2009)

Thanks!

Could someone post a screenshot of the expected output of the script would be?

I have run the script on 2008, no errors, but there is no output. The server has several databases with a couple of users. So not sure what the issue could be.

Hi Adam, I dont have access to a 2008 instance to test this code on. but I found the bug that was not letting the result show up. Also, Understand that this code doesn't make any changes, it just pulls existing information. The resultset was not showing up cause, the below IF statement was not TRUE for 2008(version 10.xx). The resultset will be a plain table in all the versions.

If you look in the code, there are 2 place where I check for the Instance's product version number.

I've updated them correctly, so that it works for 2000,2005 and 2008 as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I changed the IF statement to the following:

IF (LEFT(CAST(Serverproperty('ProductVersion') AS VARCHAR(1)), 1) = '9'

OR LEFT(CAST(Serverproperty('ProductVersion') AS VARCHAR(2)), 2) = '10')

IF EXISTS (SELECT TOP 1 *

FROM Tempdb.sys.objects (nolock)

WHERE name LIKE '#TUser%')

DROP TABLE #TUser

• Nice... works great.

Thanks,

-Adam

• It might be a great script, but I still have the errors mentioned in the first posting; I thought it was rectified. I cannot find an easy way to remove these 'illegal' characters, hence I cannot test it. Pity

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• FreeHansje (7/8/2009)

It might be a great script, but I still have the errors mentioned in the first posting; I thought it was rectified. I cannot find an easy way to remove these 'illegal' characters, hence I cannot test it. Pity

Please find the attached file and you should be able to run it.

Issue is, when you copy code from the webpage, it brings in all the preceeding spaces as misc' charecters.

Thanks,

Shiva

Kindest Regards,
    Shivaram Challa

• Hiya,

I've been playing around with this today as I have SQL2000 and I have made it work using the following attached code

Kind regards

Jo Wright

• Had a play around as well, and this runs on a Central Management Server across multiple SQL boxes with multiple builds (2000, 2005 & 2008).

USE MASTER

GO

BEGIN

IF LEFT(CAST(Serverproperty('ProductVersion') AS VARCHAR(1)),1) = '8'

begin

IF EXISTS (SELECT TOP 1 * FROM Tempdb.dbo.sysobjects (nolock) WHERE name LIKE '#TUser%')

begin

DROP TABLE #TUser

end

end

ELSE

begin

IF EXISTS (SELECT TOP 1 * FROM Tempdb.sys.objects (nolock) WHERE name LIKE '#TUser%')

begin

DROP TABLE #TUser

end

end

CREATE TABLE #Tuser (

DBName SYSNAME,

[Name] SYSNAME,

GroupName SYSNAME NULL,

LoginName SYSNAME NULL,

default_database_name SYSNAME NULL,

default_schema_name VARCHAR(256) NULL,

Principal_id INT)

IF LEFT(CAST(Serverproperty('ProductVersion') AS VARCHAR(1)),1) = '8'

INSERT INTO #TUser

EXEC sp_MSForEachdb

'

SELECT

''?'' as DBName,

u.name As UserName,

CASE

WHEN (r.uid IS NULL) THEN ''public''

ELSE r.name

END AS GroupName,

l.name AS LoginName,

NULL AS Default_db_Name,

NULL as default_Schema_name,

u.uid

FROM [?].dbo.sysUsers u

LEFT JOIN ([?].dbo.sysMembers m

JOIN [?].dbo.sysUsers r

ON m.groupuid = r.uid)

ON m.memberuid = u.uid

LEFT JOIN dbo.sysLogins l

ON u.sid = l.sid

WHERE (u.islogin = 1 OR u.isntname = 1 OR u.isntgroup = 1) and u.name not in (''public'',''dbo'',''guest'',''sys'')

ORDER BY u.name

'

ELSE

INSERT INTO #TUser

EXEC sp_MSForEachdb

'

SELECT

''?'',

u.name,

CASE

WHEN (r.principal_id IS NULL) THEN ''public''

ELSE r.name

END GroupName,

l.name LoginName,

l.default_database_name,

u.default_schema_name,

u.principal_id

FROM [?].sys.database_principals u

LEFT JOIN ([?].sys.database_role_members m

JOIN [?].sys.database_principals r

ON m.role_principal_id = r.principal_id)

ON m.member_principal_id = u.principal_id

LEFT JOIN [?].sys.server_principals l

ON u.sid = l.sid

WHERE u.TYPE <> ''R'' and u.name not in (''public'',''dbo'',''guest'',''sys'')

order by u.name

'

SELECT *

FROM #TUser

ORDER BY DBName,

[name],

GroupName

DROP TABLE #TUser

END

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply