Litespeed Question _ urgent please

• I have a LiteSPeed backup. I need to restore on with out LiteSpeed.Can anyone please suggest me how to do. I do not want to buy a license just to restore. In the mean while i will also try to find some info on Quest website. I am using LiteSPeed version 5.0 .

Thanks,

• Hi,

You can try the 'extractor' software to convert litespeed backup to native.

Shree

• I think its better to download a trial version and checkout. But I think extractor is not safe because you are experimenting with your crucial backup. Anyhow can you give the link for downloading extract software

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

• shripati:

Thank you so much for your response.Is extractor utility free? Like this is just for dev purpose. I am just trying to find a way to bring up the database up from litespeed backup using any free tool and this is just not one time..like it should be forever.. Thanks..

• I would either download a trial version of litespeed, or restore it as a separate database on your server with Litespeed and then take a native backup and copy down to your development server.

• I second the opinion of the previous posts. I would simply download the trial version that is valid for 14 days and restore the backup using the tool. I have tested out extrator in the past for the being prepared for teh similar situations. I still find using the trial LiteSpeed version much more comfortable solution.

Shaili

• use the trial version... 😉

http://www.quest.com/landing/?ID=168

• extractor.exe -R Extract

[-?]

[

[-F sqllitespeed_backup_file]

[-E base_file_name]

[-N file_number]

[-K encryption_key]

[-L 0|1|2 ]

[-I]

]

this will convert your SLS backup to Bak backup

• i did try that with extractor...it works..but for some reasons it is splitting the litespeed backup into 14 different sql native client backups..thanks everyone

• iqtedar (6/15/2009)

i did try that with extractor...it works..but for some reasons it is splitting the litespeed backup into 14 different sql native client backups..thanks everyone

You are getting 14 files because you have configured the litespeed backup to use 14 threads. What litespeed does is creates a virtual file for each thread and the final result is put into a single archive.

To restore to a system without litespeed, you have three options:

1) Install the trial version of litespeed and use it to restore.

2) Use the extractor tool to extract the native files and use standard multi-file restore

3) Use the option during the backup to create a one-click restore executable.

I would say the best option is to install litespeed and use it. I believe the trial version can be used to restore backups even after the trial has expired. I would put the question out to Quest just to be sure.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• thanks jeff..that is what i exactly did..i did contact with Quest rep and he suggested just what you did to use trial version and then you can use the restore functionality without any license.

• Glad you got it to work - just had to do that myself today. Installed the latest version to restore a backup on a new server. One of the things I noticed in the install is that it clearly states that you can register it as a trial edition or restore edition.

I am glad that it has been confirmed, so I can recommend that approach more freely.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Is there a way to download extractor.exe separately? Or do I need to download the whole source from QUEST link?

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• you can copy extractor.exe from any of the servers if you have it installed or you can download from Quest site. Just make sure you are copying 32 04 64 bit as required.,

• Thank you!

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply