little help plz?

• Hell all i just started working with this company and they have a brand new dell computer Optiplex GX280. Under Program files there is a folder that says (Microsoft SQL server). Does this mean I have an MS Sql database sever on my computer? If so I have a copy of another MS sql 2000 database that i would like to load on it....If it does exist how do i load this 2mb file on it? THX

• Not to sound short, but,  if you cannot tell if you have a SQL server,  Are you sure you should be asking how to import a database?

you may want to get a book or two to get you started.

• lol ya i guess your right. I was just hoping someone could help me get it installed so i could see how everything works...like a working example. THX

• Shouldn't be too difficult to find out if SQL Server is installed on your machine. Do you have a Start -> Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server menu entry? If so, click for now on Books Online. Should bring up SQL Server's very good online manual. There you'll find everything you need to know. Might be tricky at times, to find the right search phrase, but it pays to work through it.

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• The SQL Server directory you see may have been installed with any number of programs/products that use MSDE (Microsoft's free version of SQL Server).  If so, there will not be any programs on the start menu.

However, you can still attach a database to it.  But you will have to using OSQL or vbscript, or install SQL Server Client tools, or a 3rd party SQL Server management utility.  But I would not just use these without some idea of what you are trying to do.

You can also install a full version of SQL Server in addition to the already installed existing instance.  In fact, you can have up to 16 instances of SQL Server running on a single Windows machine, each if them running different editions or versions.

Mark

• everything you all have said is exactly right! I just picked up a MS sql 2000 book for dummies and with that came a 120 trial sql server with all kinds of goodies...ie build a db, set up rules, stored procedures, query analyzer, much more. LOL now i went through and installed the cd with a named instance. then i tried to get to it through the command promt using  "net start MSSQL$Instance1" to have it return this..

"The service did not start due to a logon failure" ?? Now when im at the CP im located in C:\Doc&Set\Myname???

Thx guys

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply