Loading Dynamic Excel file to a database

• Hi Experts

I have to create a SSIS package to import data from dynamic excel file to SQL2005 database.

I have shared floder where every month end users place one excel file(excel file name differs every month). And, aslo i have an application that writes the name of the excel file to a table(it has only one field and every month the data is over written on that table).

So my package have to read the name of the excel file and load it to database.

Else if this is not possible, is there any way that a package can automatically read the file from share folder and load to sql.

Thanks in advance.

• From reading your post I understand the situation to be:

It sounds like you need to read a table to get the name of the current Excel file to be processed

Using this Excel filename you need to process the file and load the contents to your database

One approach you could look into involves the usage of a variable to store the Excel filename to be processed. You could read the filename from your source table and assign the filename to a variable. You could then use an Excel source and connection manager to read your file based on the variable that you populated with the filename.

What you want to do with SSIS can be done.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply