LOB data types

• GilaMonster (8/24/2016)

Filestream isn't a datatype. It's an attribute of a varbinary data type column. Bigint is definitely not considered as large object, it's a grand total of 16-bytes in size.

Your LOB data types are those that can go over 8kb in size.

TEXT, NTEXT, IMAGE (deprecated SQL 2000 data types)

VARCHAR(MAX), NVARCHAR(MAX), VARBINARY(MAX), XML

I thought a bigint was 8 bytes (rather than 16).

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• ScottPletcher (8/24/2016)

I thought a bigint was 8 bytes (rather than 16).

You are correct. For some reason I was thinking int = 8 when I wrote that.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Got to the bottom of it.

There were some included columns in the index which were of type varchar(max) which was what was being picked up by SQL Server. Although the table columns being used by the indexes were fine.

Now I just need to figure out how to bring back index included column data types in my query.

Thanks

• Yup, included columns are part of the index, just like key columns.

Any query that returns the key columns should return the include columns as well, unless they're getting explicitly filtered out. Include columns are listed in sys.index_columns, just like key columns.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ok thanks to everyone for your help.

• When I run John's query against my test table (which contains a VARCHAR(MAX) data type column in it), it returns the data type as 'varchar'.

So it seems to miss out the (MAX) from the end of the data types. Same for NVARCHAR(MAX) columns in my table which are displayed simply as NVARCHAR in the query output.

• navtec (8/25/2016)

When I run John's query against my test table (which contains a VARCHAR(MAX) data type column in it), it returns the data type as 'varchar'.

So it seems to miss out the (MAX) from the end of the data types. Same for NVARCHAR(MAX) columns in my table which are displayed simply as NVARCHAR in the query output.

Check max_length. If it is -1 that is the MAX data type.

• max length for the varchar(max) and nvarchar(max) columns are 8000.

I was hoping they would be -1.....

• The documentation is incorrect about that for sys.types.

Pull max_length from sys.columns instead, and it should correctly show -1.

Cheers!

• That's worked for sys.columns max length, which is correctly showing -1 for those columns.

Thanks.

• navtec (8/25/2016)

max length for the varchar(max) and nvarchar(max) columns are 8000.

I was hoping they would be -1.....

Not any where I have seen. I am pulling this info on a regular basis doing schema checks.

• The values in sys.types show max length. VARCHAR(MAX), NVARCHAR(MAX), and VARBINARY(MAX) aren't different data types from VARCHAR(n), NVARCHAR(n), or VARBINARY(n) which is why you don't see the max_length of -1 in sys.types. If you look at the documentation for the sys.tables it tells you the a max_length of -1 indicates that those types are defined as a MAX type.

• Ah yes. My mistake. I've edited the offending post.

John

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply