local system account on SQL Server Agent

• Hi,

I am a bit confused at the moment regarding a job that I am running.

The job writes the output file to a unc path on the network.

I was always under the impression that the SQL Server Agent needs to be running as an NT account for this to be able to work and that the local system account has no network privileges?  I also have a Transaction Logging Maintenance Plan that is able to write the file to a unc path?

Regards

Carl

• is the share granted public read/write ?

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• You can grant network access to the SYSTEM account by granting network permissions to the Computer account. Do you see this for the UNC resources?

Andy

• All,

I am even more confused today!!

I have tried to backup up a database from Server 1 to a folder on Server 2 using the following command:

backup database to disk = '\\Server2\SQLBackups\Test.bak' 

I am getting the following error:

BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device '\\Server2\SQLBackups\Test.bak' failed to create. Operating system error = 5(error not found).

I thought this may be due to the share on Server 2 being set up incorrectly but I have been told by our Support guy that is should be fine.  I am also an administrator on both machines and the adminstrator has got FULL CONTROL on the share. 

I have been able to copy a file from Server 1 to Server 2 and I have even managed to run the backup command successfully whilst logged on to Server 2 using its full unc path.

Has anyone got any idea what the problem could be?

Regards

Carl 

• If you activate the job via EM, the job may run using your windows-auth (it is logged your useraccount started the job).

That would explain why it can reach the share.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I have connected to Server 1 and ran the backup command via Query Analyser.  So the backup should be running with my permissions.  I am an Administrator on the destination server and have full control on the backup share that I am attempting to write to.

I am totally confused why I am getting the error.

I can also run the backup command to the unc path locally on Server 2.

• Hi Carl,

There are 2 levels of permission on a share. When you say Administrator has FULL control, which bits of the Share properties are you checking?

Check the Security tab and ensure that all the permissions are applied there, but also:

Check the "Permissions" button visible from the Sharing tab, and check the same permissions exist there too. These are the permissions that control remote server access.

Good luck!

Phil

• Hi Phil.

Hope things are well?

Thanks for your advice. I have checked and the premissions have been set to FULL Control on both tabs.

Regards

Carl

• Bummer!

Another thought - what account is the JOB running under? If you have another job that IS writing successfully to this UNC path, are the two jobs running from different user accounts? I know you said you were connecting to QA as Administrator, but I think you need to compare the jobs that's failing with the job that's succeeding.

• Phil,

I asked our Infrastructure guy to drop the share and recreate it and I have now been able to write my backups to the share

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Carl

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply