Local system account vs Domain user

• Wehn installing sql 2000 it asks if to use local system account or a domian user account,

What's the difference? which should I use when? I have 5 sql servers and do linked servers between them as well as linked servers to MS Access. don't use publicatin or replication.

Thanks for you advice I find this very confusing.

Richard

• The main difference is basically that the local system account cannot access any resources on another machine. So ports from a shared network drive, backups to a network drive, using an Exchange server with xp_sendmail etc. won't work.

So in your case if you're having linked servers you need to have a domain user account.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Thanks Marcus,

Can I change from local account to domain wihtout reinstalling SQL?

Thanks

• Go to the Services in the Administrative tool from the Control Panel and change the log on for the SQL Server and the executive. You must re-start the server to take place the changes

Shas3

• If you can set up this domain account with an email, it is easy to set up the SQL email system to notify when jobs are complete etc. I use that setup on my systems and am very happy with the "feedback" I get from the systems.

• Shaa,

the "executive" is the mssqlserver service?

and the sqlservseragent as well?

and do I need to change the logon for the MDTC server?

do I need to restart sql for this to take effetct or reboot windows?

Thanks

• Shas thnaks, do I need to just start and stop sql or reboot the server for this to take effect.

Appreciate all you advice.

Richard

• Executive is nothing but SQLServerAgent. If you are using distributed transactions (Calling the remote stored procs on some other SQL Server and Distributed updates) in your application you might want to start the DTC with same service account. Yes you must restart the SQL Service to take place this change not the Windows

Shas3

• Shas3, much thaks for all your help, have a great weekend.

Richard

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply