Log file location defaulting when drive not available - any way to stop this?

• These are my thoughts. You should testing these, but it appears:

1. The log defaulted to the root directory of the server when it could not find the virtual drive.

My root directory is:

D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\...

2. I would try to delay the start of the SQL Server (database engine) service until the virtual drive is up. If you cannot do this explicitly, then we will need to find a way to overcome this for cold reboots.

Keep me posted,

mark

• Does it not seem strange that the tempdb and a few smaller databases could not find their logs, but waited patiently until the link was back?

That's what has thrown me to be honest. Also the logs were in the exact location as per Model db, they didn't go into the SQL Default directory - they were inside the Data directory.

• I am confused. Earlier you said, "The default locations are blank on this one and yet it defaults to the D:\."

Did it default to D: or the data drive, or is d the data drive? Was it in the root of this drive or what was the full folder path to it?

• No sorry it defaulted to the D:\prog files\sql\data

The root directory listed under properties is D:\Prog Files\SQL

Default directory under db properties is blank

Model db has log file set to be D:\Prog Files\SQL\data which leads me to believe that it used that to decide (or just guessed to add "data" onto the end of the root directory)

Sorry to have caused confusion shortcutting my directories (expecting everyone to know what I mean!)

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply