Log files - HELP

• I have a server that is running out of space. I'm in the middle of correcting the problem, but error log files are generating at a staggering pace. Is there a way to stop logging?

• Set the database recovery model to simple. It should at least reduce the logging.

• sqlGDBA (1/16/2015)

Set the database recovery model to simple. It should at least reduce the logging.

If the issue is a growing error log, putting a database in simple recovery model will have no effect.

Simply rollover the error log on a schedule (once every N minutes or several times manually) and it will age out the large error log files.

By default SQL server keeps seven files, I believe.

First make sure you do not care about what is in your logs.

What is being written to the log, that is causing it to grow?

• robin.pryor (1/16/2015)

I have a server that is running out of space. I'm in the middle of correcting the problem, but error log files are generating at a staggering pace. Is there a way to stop logging?

There are a number of trace flags that add data to the error log, such as data related to deadlocks, backups and traces. As the previous reply suggested, you should look at the log to see what is going into it and determine if there are things that you don't care about,which could be stopped from logging, or you cold roll over the error logs via SQL Agent job.

• sqlGDBA (1/16/2015)

Set the database recovery model to simple. It should at least reduce the logging.

Transaction log != Error log.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • robin.pryor (1/16/2015)

I'm in the middle of correcting the problem, but error log files are generating at a staggering pace. Is there a way to stop logging?

Depends what's getting logged.

Is 'audit successful logins' turned on and hence your error log is filled with 'login succeeded for xyz'?

Are you having stack dumps and having large dumps included in the error log?

Are you having hundreds of deadlocks a second and one of the deadlock traceflags turned on?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply