Log Reader Rolling Back

• I hope someone can help me here.  My environment is using transactional replication and I've noticed that my log reader keeps timing out and then rolling back. Does anyone know why it would the log reader would roll back?

• Couple of questions:

Was this working previously and failing now?

Is your distrutor server the same as your publisher server?

Is it possible a service account expired and the publisher is unable to contact the distributor, or is there maybe some other connectivity problem between them?

• Yes, this was previously working and the distributor server is the same as the publisher server.

The service account is still valid so i don't think that's the problem. The server is very busy and there are over 100,000's of records being inserted\updated at the time.  Can that cause the log reader to rollback?  I understand that it can get busy trying to read the logs but why would it be rolling back?

• What error message(s) are you getting in the logreader agent?

You could be running into a blocking situation. If you have multiple agents running against the distribution database, it is possible for them to contend with each other as well.

• Change the Query time out for the logreader's profile.  default is 300 sec.  Increase it to a value that stop the timeout error.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply