Log Shipping and Subsequent dB Backups

• Hey all,

I've been reading BOL and sites on the web but have yet to find answers that make me feel 100% sure that I understand whether or not you can set up log shipping and still take backups.

Assuming a system would have log shipping configured and running would any of the following scenarios break the log chain and end the log shipping, or will the transaction logs continue with their LSN sequences?

1) We want to take a weekly full backup and nightly differentials. Or nightly fulls on smaller databases.

2) Can I take full backups via a SQL backup agent, such as Veritas, or do I have to run a specific COPY ONLY T-SQL job?

3) Will differentials work in concert with log shipping under any configuration?

All I know for sure is, that if I take a transaction log backup I probably will pooch my log shipping.

Thanks for any help that comes my way;

Greg

• BlackHawk (3/20/2009)

Hey all,

I've been reading BOL and sites on the web but have yet to find answers that make me feel 100% sure that I understand whether or not you can set up log shipping and still take backups.

yes you can

Assuming a system would have log shipping configured and running would any of the following scenarios break the log chain and end the log shipping, or will the transaction logs continue with their LSN sequences?

1) We want to take a weekly full backup and nightly differentials. Or nightly fulls on smaller databases.

that will be fine

2) Can I take full backups via a SQL backup agent, such as Veritas, or do I have to run a specific COPY ONLY T-SQL job?

any full backups taken outside of your normal backup routine should be done copy only IF you are doing diffs as well

3) Will differentials work in concert with log shipping under any configuration?

not quite sure what you mean here, as answer to 1 you can take diff backups without breaking log chain

All I know for sure is, that if I take a transaction log backup I probably will pooch my log shipping.

if you take extra log backups outside your logshipping jobs and do not save these in your logship directory with the correct naming format, or if you truncate your log, you will break log shippping.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Great news!

I was afraid that the log shipping configuration became the defacto backup.

Thanks a ton!

• BlackHawk (3/20/2009)

Thanks for any help that comes my way;

Greg

You can definitely continue taking Full and Differential backups without any problem. I have not used any third party tools even if you did i don't think it should cause you any problem.

And as you said consider copying transaction log backup files from the backup folder that you created for log shipping configuration.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply