Log Shipping between servers on different domains (Untrusted).

• Hi,

I have a scenario where I have two SQL Servers, A and B. I have to implement Log shipping From A to B, so that B will become the secondary stand by server and will be used in DR situation.

The problem is Server A and B are on different networks (and different domains), they can't see each other directly. Network Administrator is ready to provide third party hardware which can copy log backups from A to B, so that I can restore the Trasactions to B. Is it possible to implement Log Shipping with this architecture. If not, is there any other alternative way to implement this knowing the fact that direct connectivity between A and B is not possible.

Thanks for your help!

Swarndeep

Swarndeep

http://talksql.blogspot.com

• Try with certificate approach.

• Content removed because I misread a statement before answering.

• I've the same problem.

We will implement log shipping between 2 untrusted servers (other domains)...

It's only the share that makes it impossible?

Are there work around or T-SQL queries (because I've only looked at the GUI)?

Hope to get a fast reply... thanks

• http://aureus-salah.com/2011/05/10/sql-server-logshipping-issue/

manual log shipping

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Just use a dedicated network share on another server/SAN that both database servers can read/write data from/to. You should be able to achieve this by running your Log Shipping MSSQL server service accounts by a user who has access to your server/SAN...

good luck

• Network Administrator is ready to provide third party hardware which can copy log backups from A to B, so that I can restore the Trasactions to B. Is it possible to implement Log Shipping with this architecture.

yes but copying the file will take longer then compare to same domain.

Robocopy will help here.

But the issue you might see:-

1) The users coming with database not belong to this domain so the login will fail for them when you will try to bring this secondary as primary.

2) If your network not sustain, you will have frequent problem of numbers of log backups file which pending for restoration and will make your secondary that much behind from Primary.

3) performance problem might occur in your primary server if it is also using the same network for SQL queries which you are using for backup copy.

----------
    Ashish

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply