Log Shipping - different domains

• Hi,

DB Version: SQL SERVER 2012 ENTERPRISE

I have 2 separate domains which I don't have the option of setting up a trust. One is a production environment, the other a DR environment.

Yes, i read through a few articles and understand we can use pass through authentication to achieve log shipping.

On both nodes, i have tried using local account as service account (with same account name and password) and it works. Eg:

node1\sql.user

node2\sql.user

When i tried using domain account in the source and local account in the target for service account, it doesn't work even with same account name and password. Is this expected?

Domain1\sql.user

node2\sql.user

I'm just curious as not able to test from my lab. If i use both domain accounts as service account (same name and password). Example:

DOMAIN1\sql.user

DOMAIN2\sql.user

Will it work? Or it only work when both are local accounts.

Appreciate ur advise.

thanks!

• Personally in such situations (and others, such as too many databases on the same server) I simply construct my own processes for backup file migration and processing.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• i am actually in middle of a project where i have to do exact same thing. I am using a powershell script to copy the file and the script is part of a job. On the source side the file is copied under the context of SQL agent account and on the target side i have a domain account on the other side, i pass the user name and password so the file gets written on the other side using this domain account.

Obviously you will have to make sure the source and target IP's are able to talk to each other both ways. You could also do Db mirroring but you will need to install and configure cert's on both the sides. I decided to go with log-shipping because set up was comparatively easy to mirroring however there is quite bit of baby sitting for log-shipping. Pick your poison 🙂 .

• I have to agree with the guys here. I really struggled getting cross-domain log shipping setup and ended up going with the powershell movement route.... not as elegant? well... it got the job done.

• chewychewy (3/29/2016)

Hi,

DB Version: SQL SERVER 2012 ENTERPRISE

I have 2 separate domains which I don't have the option of setting up a trust. One is a production environment, the other a DR environment.

Yes, i read through a few articles and understand we can use pass through authentication to achieve log shipping.

On both nodes, i have tried using local account as service account (with same account name and password) and it works. Eg:

node1\sql.user

node2\sql.user

When i tried using domain account in the source and local account in the target for service account, it doesn't work even with same account name and password. Is this expected?

Domain1\sql.user

node2\sql.user

I'm just curious as not able to test from my lab. If i use both domain accounts as service account (same name and password). Example:

DOMAIN1\sql.user

DOMAIN2\sql.user

Will it work? Or it only work when both are local accounts.

Appreciate ur advise.

thanks!

Have a read through my article at this link and if you're still stuck post back

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Log+Shipping/76757/[/url]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply