Log shipping Failover

• Hi,

I have configure log shipping on sql server 2008 production servers, everthing is workoing fine.

What i need to me How will perform failover processs in log shippping ? what steps follow the failover ?

Can anyone help this one?

Thanks

Jeri

• http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191233.aspx

the last log you restore you should use the with recovery option to bring the database online.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Create a sql agent job on the DR server that does a command for each database not system databases or dr specific to make sure log shipping is disabled, restore all last files, bring databases online with restore and out of single user mode, put databases in simple recovery so log files won't grow huge, restore orphaned security permissions from logins you will want to transfer over before the failover, transfer jobs (I have found that if I save the job data to a DBA database that is also log shipped in the batch that I can have the job run the extract on sql jobs to create, disable DR server agent jobs and push production server jobs in place), enable any configurations settings such as mail (you can preconfigure mail settings before the restore).

Then, have this job in a disabled state and run only when a failover is needed. There are a few more items in the recovery, but I am shooting from the hip here. Log shipping ships database transaction statements, you still need to get all the rest such as any DDLs for new logins to create automatically on the DR server if you want. The task to script out jobs and store in a table that is shipped and brought online. A DBA database that is shipped as well with a bunch of scripts to automate this for you... and such. Right click, run at step, 1, done.

Now, flipping it back the other way.... restart all log shipping, clean out what you need to such as scripting the jobs on failover as it is assumed they will not change, and put the dr failover job on production and fail back with the same method.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply