Log shipping issue

• I have checked the Job history , jobs are running fine with no errors and how do we check data transfer latency, do you mean delay restoring backup setting in log shipping?

• Yes

• Delay restoring backup setting is set to 0 minutes, should I set some delay there?

• Bear in mind that if you have transaction log backups that run every 15 minutes, copy jobs that run every 15 minutes and restore jobs that run every 15 minutes and you don't schedule those carefully it could easily be 45 minutes before a change you make on the primary shows up on the secondary.

You can look at the log shipping reports to get an idea as to the latest backups made (right click on the primary instance and go to reports - transaction log shipping status) and the last copy/restore (right click on the secondary and go to reports - transaction log shipping status).

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• shashi_1409 (3/16/2012)

I have checked the Job history , jobs are running fine with no errors and how do we check data transfer latency, do you mean delay restoring backup setting in log shipping?

The job will usually show as successful, inspect each steps history and in the messages pane look for indications of files being skipped 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• New issue:

BUT to check the log shipping , I have created a new table in the primary database and after the next transaction log restore , I queried the secondary database for that new table , the result NOOOO new table , I even tried updating the data in the Primary datbase that change was also not replicated into secondary database .:crying:

Anyone have idea why is log shipping not working ..

1) How do you identified the transaction was already applied to the stand by server.

2) Probably in a high active database each transaction log backup size will be huge. Backup time, network copy time and restore time there are many factors to delay in sync between master and log. If that is the case, you would have already seen the table by now.

3) If no I have a doubt what user are you using against standby database does he have enough rights to see all objects?

---- Babu

• shashi_1409 (3/16/2012)

I have checked the Job history , jobs are running fine with no errors and how do we check data transfer latency, do you mean delay restoring backup setting in log shipping?

Also, execute the following and post the results

On the Primary

exec sys.sp_help_log_shipping_primary_database @database = 'primarydbname'

On the Secondary

exec sys.sp_help_log_shipping_secondary_database @secondary_database = 'secondarydbname'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply