Log Shipping Licensing

• Hi there all.

Could anyone tell me if the following licensing setup would be valid for SQL.

The microsoft licensing guide is not clear on this.

I have one outward facing webserver sat ontop of a 2008 R2 Standard Processor License.

I log ship data to another 2008 R2 server which is accessable read only.

This is an Enterprise server license with 200 cals which we use for internal staff system.

If our 200 internal staff have read only access to the log shipped database and run queries against it they are covered by the server cal licensing.

As my website data is only log shipped to the second server the second server does not need a processor based license.

Am i correct?

Also would the same apply if we replicated the data with transactional (or merge) replication or mirrored syncronously from the webserver to the Enterprise server

Thanks in advance

Microsoft state this about log ship secondaries in the 2008 licensing guide.

"Does not require separate SQL Server license as long as it is not serving data to clients or running SQL Server workloads."

But does not state the type of license needed if it does have workloads

• I will start by saying this, if you aren't sure you should contact Microsoft for clarification.

Now, it looks to me like you have properly licensed the database server supporting your web server. It also appears that you have a fully licensed server that you are log shipping to and have 200 CALs for that server. Based on these facts it appears to me that you should fine. Please note that this is my opinion and not legal fact or advice.

• +1 on what Lynn said as well.

As long as the secondary read-only copy is not being accessed by the web or by more than the 200 CAL's already purchased you should be covered. Again this goes as what Lynn said as its from our understanding of the documentation, for proper clarification I would contact Microsoft

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply