Log shipping load error on the standby server

• Hi,

Does anyone know why this error is occurring on the standby server? I'm trying to configure log shipping for the first time and get this error on the load on standby server:

[Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 4306: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The preceding restore operation did not specify WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY. Restart the restore sequence, specifying WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY for all but the final step.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally.

Please help!

• abaig,

Are you trying to restore a database to different server ("the standby server")? Please give me a little more detail on your procedures.

JR

• Yes. I'm trying to restore transaction logs on the standby server. My database is in the standby mode. When I go to Log shipping monitor and right click | View Copy/Restore History on the job, it says that the transaction log load failed on the standby server but copy was successful. When I click on the load it stated a msg saying:

[Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 4306: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The preceding restore operation did not specify WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY. Restart the restore sequence, specifying WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY for all but the final step.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally.

What could I be missing?

• Although, this is for SQL 7, it may be helpful for setting up log shipping for the first time: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275146

• when restoring the TLog you need to choose the third radio button on the Options page.

That will solve the problem.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply