Log Shipping: Over Server B DBs stay on Restoring

• Hi Everyone,

I Enabled the Log Shipping on two server of SQL 2005 by Managment Studio.

I follow the steps of this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190640(SQL.90).aspx

and almost works fine, just the databases over the secondary server stay on status Restoring.

Any idea why about that?

I went over the View History of the Jobs and say the operations of copy and restore was successful.

• Danky 7 (3/26/2010)

and almost works fine, just the databases over the secondary server stay on status Restoring.

Any idea why about that?

They will. That's how log shipping works.

The database on the secondary server have to be Recovering or in Standby to allow further logs to be restored. If they were brought online, no further log backups could be restored, which wouldn't be exactly idea in a log shipping scenario.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ok. Then, first back up the DB, next restoring on secondary server, and finally enable the log shipping??

• Hi,

It can be done either way...

Restore DB from backup on the secondary with norecovery or standby option. Configure logshipping choosing the option that the DB already exists on secondary server

OR

all this can be done ( starting from restoring the database on secondary) through the logshipping configuration wizard.

[font="Verdana"]Renuka__[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply