Log Shipping - primary server renamed

• SQL 2005:  We have log shipping running.  The primary server ( box not instance )  is to be renamed.  Since the sql install is a default instance, sql should recognize the name change to the box upon reboot.  I  have the small script which changes the internal name so sql server will be all good.         Rather than recreate log shipping, I will need to update the primary server name in some tables on the standby server.    If anyone has gone through this I would like to see a list of updates needed.

thanks,

Randy

• sounds interesting,ensure u change the originating_server_id column in the sysjobs system table...do revert with your results once u perform it successfully so that we will know the steps.....

[font="Verdana"]- Deepak[/font]

• SQL Server recognizes name changes without any restart but for you since you have log shipping configured you need to check if there are any issues if so you can change those records using some system procedure that will be there by default.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• I guess I'll just look at all of the log shipping table to see where the server name needs to be updated.  http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190355.aspx

• Really? So you rename a machine and you won't restart it ?

* Noel

We will restart the primary server after it is renamed.

My plan is to first try updating the appropriate log shipping tables on both primary and secondary to reflect the new name of the primary.  If that doesn't work I'll delete log shipping and use the scripts I generated when log shipping was first set up ( with name changed as needed ) to see if I can get log shipping going again that way.   Otherwise it's drop log shipping and recreate from scratch ( 3 times, once for each database involved in log shipping )

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply