Log shipping role chnage challenge

• I have log shipping from one primary server to 2 secondary servers. If I run MS provided scripts to upgrade one of the secondary servers to become the primary (that is if the primary goes down), how do I get the no 2 secondary server to establish logshipping with the newly promoted primary server.

I want to know if there are scripts that can be run on both servers to effect this change and get the logshipping going.

Thanks.

• If I am not mistaken, there is a script to promote the secondary to the primary, and there is also a script to demote the primary to the secondary. It is something like sp_change _promary (run it on primary), nd sp_change_secondary (run on secondary).

I have never been impressed with its ability to succeed, but in a classroom setting, I got it to work about 75% of the time.

• The point is that there are 2 secondaries and one of them has been promoted to primary using the script you mentioned. So how does the second secondary server establish log shipping with the new primary server?.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply