Log shipping setup

• Hi,

We are setting up log shipping. I have created 3 dedicated servers for primary, secondary and monitoring. I need to monitor around 10 instances.

My question is :

How much resources , we do required for that? Hardware configuration, Memory etc as per the MS KB

Monitor server can be any SQL Server edition that is right but what about other resources?

Awaiting for your kind reply.

"More Green More Oxygen !! Plant a tree today"

• As far as I know, your primary and secondary servers should be enterprise editions unless you develop your own scripts.

Also, you need to make sure that you have a stable internet to ship the logs.

• In 2000 Log Shipping is only available in Enterprise Edition. In 2005 it is in Standard and Enterprise

• if the monitor server is doing only that - monitoring log shipping , then it uses very little resources and could sit on a very low spec machine.

log shipping itself is not resource intensive, much more important to spec the machine to handle the load of the application running on it. Have the primary and secondary built the same so if you failover performance is the same.

Logshipping is basically backing up logs, copying them, and restoring the logs, so obviously the network needs to be reliable and able to handle the bandwidth (so size and frequency of log backups is determining factor), and ensure logs are on a separate drive to the backups to help i/o. Try for RAID 1 for the logs and raid 5 would be adequate for the backups.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply