Logfile is 150GB !!!

• I have a database (Recovery Model - Simple) on SQLServer-2012. This database is replicated with Push subscription using the Snapshot Replication. The log file is 150GB whereas the database is 10GB. I tried various methods to truncate/shrink the logfile/database however none worked.

-- I took the full backup in Simple Recovery model and tried to truncate

-- I changed the model from Simple to Full took both Full as well as Transaction log backup then tried to truncate the log

Please suggest how I can reduce the size of the Logfile.

R

• Take a read through this: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Transaction+Logs/72488/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • First u can check, is there any long running transactions ? and is there any blocking in db ?

• search web for: log reuse wait desc replication sql server

Replication is an obvious possibility here. Can't flush out stuff if replication isn't satisfied for tlog'd stuff. Could also be long-running transaction like someone else suggested.

SELECT log_reuse_wait_desc, * FROM MASTER.sys.databases

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• SELECT log_reuse_wait_desc, * FROM MASTER.sys.databases

Not sure how many databases you have on your server so you might want to limit the results that are coming back to only the database in question like so:select log_reuse_wait_desc from sys.databases where database_id = db_id('DATABASENAME')

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
    Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply