logging in to msde 2000

• I've installed MSDE 2000, SQL 2000 client tools, .NET sdk, the web admin tool, on a w2k server.

using osql, I can login under the trusted connection just fine, but neither 'sa' nor the network login are allowed in. Having corrected the registry to allow mixed mode, osql gives 'login failed for [login]' if using -U switch

client tools from either the console or from another box get 'does not exist or access denied'

I can see the server running and see the server\instance name clearly, so am stuck as to why it refuses the sa login and #who# the trusted login is that works.

• Through osal try changing the sa password..you don't need to have thew old password to change it.

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" ..Red Green

• managed that, and can now login to osql via -U -P

BUT entman still getting access denied 

• MSDE 2000 with SP3a will by default remove all server connectivity.  Log on to the box and run the Server Network Utility to enable your favourite protocol.  Then stop/start MSDE and you should have EM access.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• would do if I could find the SNU....

I've assumed its somewhere in the sp3a stuff for 2000, so I'll run the upgrade first.

• ah - solved it.

to connect, I've used (servername)\(instancename) rather than just the server, as you'd normally do.

Still only wants to accept the sa login, but I can live with that to start with

• With MSDE 2000 the default security is Windows Authentication.  If you change the following registry settings this will allow you to use SQL logins.

Change the loginmode file from 1 to 2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ SOFTWARE / MICROSOFT/MSSQLSERVER/MSSQLSERVER/loginmode

cheers

• that was about the second thing I did, but it flatly refused to go anywhere.

I've since managed to access the db via sql 2000 ent man and all is now well with this.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply