Login failed for user ''(null)''

• Hi

I am trying to do a replication, but it didn't work. I got the next error:

Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

I am using on the subscription on the Securyti tab the next:

Impersonate the SQL Server Agent account on 'SIS-TERESITA' (trusted connection)

• Did you explore the possible reasons

1. You are not using Local systems account on any server

2. You have a trust relationship properly established

Helen
    --------------------------------
    Are you a born again. He is Jehova Jirah unto me

• Hi!

I'm new doing this replication thing, the only references that I have is a book that is version 7.0 ( we have 2000) and a carpert of a training ( Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Database).

How can I check this:

1. You are not using Local systems account on any server

2. You have a trust relationship properly established

Thanks for everything.

• Maybe this can help

This is the message that the Publisher shows on the Agent history

Publisher : SQL_SMART Agent:SQL_SMART-bdPOS-SIS-TERESITA-12

Error:

The process could not read file '\\SQL_SMART\e$\DB\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\ReplData\unc\SQL_SMART_bdPOS_bdPOS\20050524182004\tbITEMS_1.sch' due to OS error 1326.

Last Command

\\SQL_SMART\e$\DB\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\ReplData\unc\SQL_SMART_bdPOS_bdPOS\20050524182004\tbITEMS_1.sch

Transaction sequence number and command ID of last execution batch are 0x000000070000030D000B00000002 and 4.

Category  Source    Number

OS                                 1326 

and this is the message that apper on the suscriptions Job History

The process could not read file '\\SQL_SMART\e$\DB\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\ReplData\unc\SQL_SMART_bdPOS_bdPOS\20050524182004\tbITEMS_1.sch' due to OS error 1326.  The step failed.

and

The job failed.  The Job was invoked by User SIS-TERESITA\Administrator.  The last step to run was step 1 (Run agent.).

• This is just a guess from the error, but your SQL Server Agent Service is probably set to login under a local system account. If that is the case, it will not authenticate as any network user (not even a member of the Everyone group) when connecting to file shares. You need to set it up to use a Domain user account with the propper rights to the file in question.

• I check in Start+ Setting + Control Panel +Administrative Tools +Services.

Service SQLSERVERAGENT right click + Lon On.

He the information is.

This Account:

.\Adminstrator.

In both publisher and subscriber is the same.

and this user have Administrator rights in both cases.

• Sounds like it is set to local administrator. For your problem to be fixed, it should read something like domainname\username. You may need to check with your network admins to get sa propper account set up for this.

There is an article in Books Online that goes into the basics of this. Do a search on 'SQL Server Agent, startup account' I'm sure there are also some great articles on this site, but I couldn't find anything yet.

• He is on vacations, and will be back on two weeks.

I don't know if this can help.

This are the user that I have on the subcriber:

BULTIN\Administrators         Windos Group Permit  master English

distributor_admin                 Standard       Permit  master English

logRepli                                       Standard        Permit  master English

sa                                       Standard        Permit  master English

SIS-TERESITA\Administrator WindowsUser   Permit  master English

and the user in the Publisher are:

BULTIN\Administrators         Windos Group Permit master English

CIERHDBA                            Standard       Permit master English

distributor_admin                 Standard       Permit master English

sa                                       Standard        Permit master English

SQL_SMART\Administrator    WindowsUser  Permit master English

• Teresita,

Your SQL Agent is running on a local account. you have to use a domain account for it. If your domain is SQL_Smart then use an account like that for your Agent on the publisher and grant access to that account on your SQL at the subscriber.

* Noel

• I don't have a Domain, so I will create one, do you recoment me to do that on the server ( I am working with my computer and a server).

Does the new domain\user have to be add to my SQL Server users to be able to run the SQL Server Agent?

• Please talk to your network administration people before creating a domain! Are you absolutely sure you don't already have a windows domain? When you log on to the network, You should have a User Name field and a Password field. Depending on what OS you are running, you should also have a details or options button in the lower right corner of the login dialog. If you click it and there is a domain listed there, you already log into a domain.

Adding a domain controller (and bring up a new domain or Active Directory) is a huge step. If you are in a small office with no domain set up, you'll probably have to go a different route than setting up SQL Server Agent to run under a Domain account. I don't really know how to do that, because all of my SQL Servers have always been running under a Windows domain (NT 4, Win2k, or full AD Domain).

• Teresita,

If you don't have a domain, as it was already stated, to create one is not a trivial change!!! I think you will be better of waiting for your network admin to do it. I am not sure if the agent account can be used in workgroup mode but you can test that assingning the same password to both Administrator accounts and see if using that account you have access to the shares on the remote server. This last bit I haven't implemented and BOL implies that you need a domain user account for this to run. 

* Noel

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply