Login Failure issue - SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008

• SQL throwing login failure error when an NT user (NT Login) trying to login on SQL. But the same user added explicitly in SQL level he is succeeding to login?

Am i missing something in local policy level? or is this related with Kerberos Authentication issue?

Please suggest...

Happy New Year to all...

• Hello,

Can you post the error message that the user gets when trying to Logon using Windows Authentication?

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
    SQL Server Luxembourg User Group

• Is there possibly an explicit deny on a group the user is a member of? And have you ensured that the user logon is enabled, not just added to the login list?

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Is there possibly an explicit deny on a group the user is a member of? And have you ensured that the user logon is enabled, not just added to the login list?

I ensured that the group where the NT user member of is Admin of the box, the same config on this box is followed other boxes as well and working fine except this.

One more thing if I add the user explicitly in SQL level then the user can login to SQL.

Something I'm missing but sure where!!!

The Below error I'm getting when i try to login to SQL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to ABCSQLServer

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Login failed for user 'ABC\Krishjay'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Jay

• Hello,

Was there not a “State: NN” part to the Error Message? The value for State is important in determining the exact reason for Logon failure.

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu

• John Marsh (1/4/2009)

Hello,

Was there not a “State: NN” part to the Error Message? The value for State is important in determining the exact reason for Logon failure.

State'll be in the error log, if failed logins are logged. It's not returned to the client, because that's too much information.

Jayakumar: can you look in the SQL error log, see if the login failure's there and if so, what the state is.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hello again,

State should also be available “online” via the “Show Technical Details” option. (In the block of text under the Microsoft Link that you provided previously).

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu

• Jayakumar Krishnan (1/4/2009)I ensured that the group where the NT user member of is Admin of the box, the same config on this box is followed other boxes as well and working fine except this.

So, just to be clear - you want this user to be a system administrator on the box as well as a system administrator in SQL Server?

If that is correct (why?) - then you need to review the BUILTIN\Administrators group in SQL Server. If the user cannot connect when added as a local administrator - then this group either no longer exists, or the group has specifically been denied logon rights.

BTW - is this a user of the database? A developer? Another DBA?

If not a DBA - then why would you grant a user full system admin rights in SQL Server? That user would be able to make any changes they want, access any data they want - bypassing all application security and system security. Is this really what you want?

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Answer for Williams Question.

----------------------------------

The NT user(ABC\Krishjay) is one of the DBA, he is member of ABC\DBOps_Team (Domain Admin group) which is member of local administrator group of this box and all other boxes which are under monitoring.

The same NT user can access all SQL servers in all environments except this box.

So somewhere I'm missing config on this Win srvr 2008/SQL 2008 cluster environment, might be new settings in this env???

Answer for GilaMons

------------------

2009-01-04 12:31:24.04 Logon Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 11.

2009-01-04 12:31:24.04 Logon Login failed for user 'ABC\Krishjay'. Reason: Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. [CLIENT: 120.2.7.30]

Answer for Marsh

-------------------

Below details are the technical details.

===================================

Cannot connect to ABCSQLServer

===================================

Login failed for user 'ABC\Krishjay'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

Server Name: ABCSQLServer

Error Number: 18456

Severity: 14

State: 1

Line Number: 65536

Program Location:

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.ConnectionDlg.Connector.ConnectorThread()

Any clues from the above can help to resolve?

• Jayakumar Krishnan (1/4/2009)

Reason: Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. [CLIENT: 120.2.7.30]

That looks like a Kerberos issue. Are there any other errors in the error log that indicate problems connecting to the domain controller, problems generating SSPI context, problems registering an SPN?

Are there any errors in the windows event log indicating problems connecting to the domain controller?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Did you validate the BUILTIN\Administrators group in SQL Server 2008? I believe the problem you are having is the fact that security has changed on Windows Server 2008 - and just adding a user to the Administrators group no longer automatically allows admin access to SQL Server.

You can review the following article for additional information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280562.aspx

What this means is that you can do one of the following:

a) Explicitly grant access to the BUILTIN\Administrators group in SQL Server (not recommended)

b) Explicitly add your domain group (DBA's only?) to SQL Server and grant sysadmin rights to that group.

Jeffrey Williams

• BTW - the key here is the combination of Windows Server 2008/SQL Server 2008.

Jeffrey Williams

• I couldnt see any other specific logs in the Eventlog except the above.

If it is Kerberos issue, how can i enable/disable it in Windows Server 2008 cluster administrator.

I already (same day when i post this topic) posted another topic for finding the Kerberos option in Win 2008 cluster administrator.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic629187-391-1.aspx

Thanks.

• It is not a Kerberos issue - please read the document I linked to for further information. On Win2008/SQL2008 you cannot just add a user to the local Administrator group in Windows and get sysadmin access to SQL Server.

You have to enable the BUILTIN\Administrator (not recommended) - or add the group to SQL Server.

Again - review the document I linked to for additional information.

Jeffrey Williams

• From my observations .... On Windows 2008 / R2, this behaviour is expected.

To make it work, you have to elevate the process with administrative privilege (UAC)

So you open SQL Mgmt Studio with run as administrator. Then you are part of BUILTIN\administrators and you can successfully log in to SQL Database engine.

Else, you have to explicitly had the user to SQL Logins.

Note that this only applies when login in locally on the SQL server. If you run SQL Mgmt Studio remotely, you don't need to explicitly grant access to user. BUILTIN\administrators will suffice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply