Login name ?

• Hi all,

Need help to clarify Login-Use relationship in some special cases. What means if database User Login name (from User properties) is <None>? How can database User exist if he is not listed in server Logins? Frankly, confused completely.

Thanks

• You can have a different user name to that of your login, although not that advisable as it can cause confusion.

The Login Name relates to the actual login name and the Name can be something else.

• Sorry, didn't get the point and relationship to my question. Thanks

• Ok I might have missed the point, I'll try to clarify what I mean if it still doesnt make sense then maybe I dont understand what you want.

I set up a login JED. Then within the database I set up a new user.When setting up a user you select the Login Name, which is the name of the login, but you can also assign a user name. So I select JED and give him a user name of Phil. If you look at the properties of the user the Login Name is Jed and the username is Phil. The login name is shown as none when the username is the same as the login name. So although you have a User called Phil who doesnt have an associated login Phil is associated to the Jed login.

In the same way I think that NONE is left there when the User name is the same as the login.

• Thank you for your answer, but I am afraid I can't agree with you that <None> login means User name = Login name (it's very easy to check- majority of our DB users has same User and Login names but only couple ones have <None> login).

• Yuri,

When you restore a db specially from another server. The SID of the logins in the master db are probaly not going to match those of the db and therefore you will have to resichronize the db with the master SID

If it is supposed to be an SQL Login you can use sp_change_user_login

If it is supposed to be a Windows  Login you can use mapsid

hth

* Noel

• Thanks a lot. I thought the same way that it’s probably dealing with DB restoring.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply