Logon Banner for SSMS

• I have a requirement to display a "banner" with a warning message every time somebody "logs on to the database". I looked into possibly implementing a logon trigger, but I don't know how to make it display a message that the user must acknowledge.

Any idea about how to display a logon banner? Do later version of SQL Server have anything that I might use?

• peden (7/12/2016)

I have a requirement to display a "banner" with a warning message every time somebody "logs on to the database". I looked into possibly implementing a logon trigger, but I don't know how to make it display a message that the user must acknowledge.

Any idea about how to display a logon banner? Do later version of SQL Server have anything that I might use?

Quick thoughts, a) you could probably create an add-in for SSMS b) wrapper executable displaying the banner or c) respond with No Can Do.

c) is definitely the right response if the users can download and install SSMS on their system

😎

• Just off-the-cuff, this wouldn't happen to be for a STIG checklist?

If so, I'd check that you're using the most current checklist for the version of SQL Server you're using. If it's SQL 2012, then the current checklist doesn't have a requirement for a logon banner.

If it's a requirement not related to a STIG checklist, then you'll need to go with Eirikur Eiriksson's recommendations.

• No, it is not STIG. Yes, I have the latest relevant requirements, and it is a requirement.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply