Logon failure Error

• Hi all,

The SQL log is full of the error above, indicates an Invalid Used ID.

I've checked and the login is existing and also users mapped to that login with sufficient rights. I don't know what else I could do in order to solve this out. What else this could be if not a SQL Server side issue?

Any suggestions?Thanks.

• Have you actually test login as that user? Maybe password has been changed?

• Thanks for your response - I forgot to mention that it uses windows authentication.

• have you tried using the user name and password to logon and then access SQL? Has someone "removed/disabled" the AD account?

• grahamc (2/22/2011)

have you tried using the user name and password to logon and then access SQL? Has someone "removed/disabled" the AD account?

isnt the error then login for user '' failed ?

• Marco V (2/22/2011)

grahamc (2/22/2011)

have you tried using the user name and password to logon and then access SQL? Has someone "removed/disabled" the AD account?

isnt the error then login for user '' failed ?

I think so... but would still like to see what happens if he tries to log into a computer with the account and then SQL

• I can't investigate it further as application users get the error msg.

That's all I can see in the log: 18456 severity 14 state 5

• Bungholio (2/22/2011)

I can't investigate it further as application users get the error msg.

That's all I can see in the log: 18456 severity 14 state 5

The NT team is saying the user is in the right group...I have no clue.

error 18456 indicates login failure. Wrong password, wrong login ID etc can all trigger this error.

I would still suggest test the login outside the application first, such as test you can establish an ODBC connection. You said that the log file is full of such error. Was the error repeat in a fixed interval? If it is, that might be an indication that some service was set to be run under that login and a heigher chance the password changed but the service setting did not update. Check if there is any such a service exist. I just throw around ideas. You need to find out exactly what's happening (triggered the error).

Also, find out when the password for that login is last changed and see if the time correlate with the error log.

• For those who might be interested... the ODBC data source has been tested and guess what...

Running connectivity tests...

Attempting connection

Connection established

Verifying option settings

Disconnecting from server

TESTS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY!

But not working from the app..This thing is driving me crazy :crazy:

• Bungholio (2/22/2011)

For those who might be interested... the ODBC data source has been tested and guess what...

Running connectivity tests...

Attempting connection

Connection established

Verifying option settings

Disconnecting from server

TESTS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY!

But not working from the app..This thing is driving me crazy :crazy:

That's a good news. You are one step closer to the root of the cause.

You need to find out how the application is set up to connect to the database. May set up trace to monitor login failure to confirm.

• I welcome any ideas. Thanks.

When I was saying the log was full I meant 10-15 entries per day and those have been generated by the actual user who tried to access the application. No service is running under such a login name.

• can you post the full error as it stands in the log? as well as the string for the ODBC connection?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply