LogShipping Setup question

• Hi

We currently have log shipping set up. Our database ldf log files are currently on Drive D along with the database data files. The log shipping backup job currently backups up the log file every 15 mins and drops the backup into a folder D:\LogShippingBackups. In the properties of each Log shipping backup job step, I can see it is run from a CmdEXec statement along the lines of:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\sqllogship.exe" -Backup E800080B-536E-4574-8774-08FA5598C07D -server ABC-P-SQL

We will be moving the database ldf log files from the D drive to a new drive to separate them from the data files.

Will we need to recreate the 15 minute log shipping backup job for every database on the server or will it just continue to take a backup of the database transaction log which has been moved to a new drive. We are also going to continue to store the backups of the logs on the D drive, so from that point of view the job won't need changing.

• What is your question?

• A requirement of a relational database system is that a user of the database does not need to know anything about where or how the data is stored. This extends to backups and such, they do not and should not need to understand in any way where the database files are stored.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • curious_sqldba (1/19/2016)

What is your question?

Will we need to recreate the 15 minute log shipping backup job for every database on the server or will it just continue to take a backup of the database transaction log which has been moved to a new drive

• Thanks Gail - I wasn't sure if the log shipping backup job would break and I'd have to therefore recreate each backup job again.

Thanks for clearing that up.

🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply