Look Up database

• Hi ,

I our current enviroment we have multipal database with same scham on different servers

what I need is to create one master look up database to populate common data.

what is best way to do this?

currently we have arroung 20 GB of common data in in all database

Thanks

• Not entirely clear on what you mean.

If you have one database that needs to exist on multiple servers, you can use replication or log shipping to keep them in synch. Is that what you mean?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Let me explain scnerio

we have a 10 prod servers with having single prod database having common schma

in all databases we have a common data of roughly 20 GB

what I wants to do is create one database on new server with common data and have all 10 server look this database for common info

that will save me populating common data on daily bases in all 10 database.

this way I can save some time and space in my prod enviroment

tahnks

• One solution, probably a good one, in that case would be to set up a single master database with the common data (as you proposed), then have the other copies have synonyms to a link to that server instead of having the actual tables.

I think you could do that and get what you need.

Do realize, though, that having the data on a linked server will be slower than having it on each server. Less maintenance and less overall disk space, but more network traffic and slower queries. It's a tradeoff.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks for reply

Looks like batter solution

also one more question

how can we maintain refrential intrigtity between common data to use in my production data

Thanks

• If you take GSquared's approach, all the common data will be in one single database. There should be no issue in referential integrity.

• You can maintain referential integrity through your own code in whatever manner suits your requirements the best. You can't have foreign keys that reference a different database, whether on the same server or not.

Property of The Thread

• Thanks For prompt reply

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply