Looking for a Jr level DBA position, just need to get my feet in the door!

• After studying and using SQL Server 2005 for over a year I recently earned my MCITP SQL 2005 DBA cert. I live in Portland, OR but am seriously considering relocating my family for the right position. I have been with a Fortune 500 company for 14 years and after finally earning my certs in my own time, on my own dime, I was told there was no need for my new skills, and to basically "get back to work" (meaning my current responsibilities as a electrical engineering technician).

I want to be a DBA so badly. I have the skills and knowledge required, and about a year of actual experience. I actually enjoy this stuff, I have lived and breathed it everyday for over a year. Everyday that I don't work for someone who will value my skills is driving me crazy. I love doing this and foresee it as my career for the until I retire (20+ more years!). If ANYONE is looking for a hard working individual who is willing to just give me a chance, please reply back and I can send you my resume. I will work myself into the ground just to be able to get my foot in the door and prove I am worthy. As I said, I have been with the same large corporation for 14 years and have decided to move on.

Again, I am willing to relocate for the right position, especially to Florida but am open to ALL potential opportunities. Thank you for your time.

-AaronJ

• It might take some time, so be patient. Did you make some research for jr. DBA position. Try to post your resume on Dice\Monster and see if you start getting phone calls from agents. Do you have any reporting skills?

Good Luck...

• I've put my resume up on Monster, but haven't tried Dice, will do so, thank you for your advice. You mentioned patience, and I am trying hard. The same thought keeps ringing in my head however: "use it or lose it!" I'm going to keep at it, until someone takes a chance and hires me. In the meantime, I'll just keep learning more and more about SQL Server, especially the development side since I understand the admin side.

Funny you should mention reporting skills, as I am working on a report right now and noticed I had a new email telling me you replied to my post. I've been designing reports using BIDS for my work (again in my own time :crazy: ) for some engineering test data. I have some background in statistical analysis for manufacturing capabilities so I can see where reports can be very powerful if designed correctly.

After I earned my MCITP DBA I figured I needed to know as much BI stuff as possible, so that is what is keeping me busy.

Thank you for your reply!

-Aaron

• Also keep in mind that you might get a lower salary ( compare to the current one) when get a Junior position...

• Darnit. It's a shame you don't live in Florida. My company is looking for a good junior DBA.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie,

I might know someone. Where in Florida?

How would you like to touch base with them?

• Jacksonville, Florida.

As far as touching base, are they registered with this site? Do they have the ability to Private Message me?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I sent you one last night about it from your other post. Did you recieve it?

• Odd. I didn't get notification of it. Let me look in my PM box.

• I just sent you a Test one. Did you recieve that?

• Aaron,

Great story! I'm sure you will find a position where you can bring your skills to bear if you haven't already.

Like you, I got hooked on databases after a career in something else (Science and Environmental Mgmt in my case). There is definitely a bias by employers against a change in skill sets, but that's only a challenge for us to make the case that we will be adding value to their operation.

I was very careful to down-play my non-relevant skills during my first job interviews and to emphasize only those things that potential employers could relate to. For instance, environmental mgmt involved a lot of skills in understanding and preparing documentation. Good data protection and Disaster Preparedness requires the same kind of logical thinking, communication, and documentation. So that gave me something to talk about that related to their business. Remember (or remind them!) a company's data is usually the most precious asset they have. If you show determination to protect it, that should resonate positively during your interviews.

My recommendations (worth exactly what you're paying for them) is to focus on the prospective employer's needs (and I mostly mean Business needs, not technical stuff), minimize distractions, such as non-relevant skills or excessive qualifications (supervisory management in my case), and do not appear too eager, since it can come across as desperate and scare off someone who does not know your potential worth. Act like a professional DBA; that's what you are even though your skills and experience are at the beginning end of your database career.

After you get the job, get ready for the real fun. I carried around three reference books for a year so that I would be deserving of the responsibilities I had been given. And I wouldn't change a thing. Good luck!

Elliott

• Thanks for the encouraging words Elliott. I actually have a big interview tomorrow AM and I'm trying not to get my hopes up but it is hard not to. Even though I may not post a lot on these forums, they have been an invaluable resource. Hopefully someday I will be a more contributing member of the forums, I am always impressed with the professionalism and helpfulness of its members.

Wish me luck!

-Aaron

• Good luck, Aaron!

It is almost 2 years that I'm running my own company and I forgot what is like going on a job interviews.

Hope you'll get the job.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Aaron, if you're still looking you may want to apply to this, Senior Automation Analyst. A large portion of the duties are as a junior dba.

• Well I'm thrilled to report that I landed my dream job as a jr DBA with a major player in the IT industry! I hope I can serve as inspiration to others looking to break into the business. We are rolling out SQL 2008 with MS support onsite. I can't believe my good fortune, it just goes to show that hard work really does pay off. Again, thanks to everyone for the advice and words of encouragement. I think dice.com was the best producing resume website I used. Now hopefully I can start helping others as well! Woop woop!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply