Looking for some help

• Morning. I have been having a problem with my SQL Server 2000 for 2 days now and I am hoping that I can get some help with trying to get it fixed ASAP. Two days ago, I tried to drill down in Enterprise Manager and was stopped at the level before the folders that states: Data, Backups, so on and so forth by an error message. This message said:

A connection could not be established to MAINSERVER.

Reason: Data source name not found and no default driver specified.

Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration propertier.

I can see that SQL is running and I know people are able to connect to the database that is on SQL. I checked my registration properties and they appear to be correct as well.

Then yesterday, it was suggested to me that I try to connect via Query Analyzer. So, I went to the Query Analyer, and attempted to log in through it and got another error message. This time the error message read:

Unable to connect to server MAINSERVER

ODBC: Msg 0, Level 16, State 1

[Microsoft] [ODBC Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified.

Then today, I went and looked at the ODBC drivers in the Admin Tools section, and noticed there are none listed. So I guess my question is, how do I go about getting my ODBC drivers back if this is the problem? Is this the problem also?

I am in kind of a pickle with this as I need to move this database to a larger drive. The drive that it is currently on is only running at 159 MB free. So, if anyone has any suggestion on what I should try next or do, I am just about open to it. Please understand, that I have almost no knowledge of SQL Server. Thanks in advance.

Tom

• EM and QA do not connect via the ODBC Data Sources. In your Start | Programs | MS SQL Server, there is a Client Network Utility. You can set a default driver and you may want to specifically set an alias for this server if you cannot contact it. EM and QA will use this alias when making a connection.

• Also, make sure that "Force Protocol Encryption" is not checked. Also, a shot in the dark here..if these client tools are on your workstation as opposed to the server maybe try re-installing or updating mdac.

• Are you running EM on the server or on the client, if on the client un-inastall/re-install the SQL Server client tools. if on the server just re-install the SQL client tools.

Good luck..

Don't count what you do, do what counts.

SQL Draggon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply