looping sub query

• OK, I have an issue I need help with and so far this site has been remarkable for the help you have all give me. I am trying to expand my fantasy baseball site to SQL as a learning tool and have stumbled.

I have 2 tables that are involved in trades.

trades and trade_details

trades: ID, timestamp, notes (used for player to be named later or other non identifyable resources.

trade_details: ID, trade_ID (same as trades.ID), from_team, player_ID, pick_ID, to_team

first I dont know if it is wise to house two different resources in the same table as I am not sure how to identify each later.

second I am not sure once this is populated how to do a search on lets say a given team to get only trades back on that team. Issue being it would have to be an initial distinct query for trade_ID where a team is found but then would need to display and group the trade complete in its entirity

EXAMPLE:

Lets say the dodgers had made a trade with the reds. in the database it would apear like this. I am subbing names for IDs so that it is easier to understand.

Trades:

23, 7/10/08, Dodgers will also recieve a player to be named later

Trade_Details:

1, 23, Dodgers, Jeff Kent, null, Reds

2, 23, Dodgers, null, 2010 first round pick, Reds

3, 23, Reds, Adam Dunn, null, Dodgers

Once a team is selected on the website I want it to look at the team name retrieve the trade_ID and then group and display the entire results.

trades.ID trades.timestamp

trade_details.team_from, player, pick, team_to

trades.notes

Sorry so long but I am new to this and am pretty lost. Anything past a simple querry gets me pretty darn lost.

• I think I would do the second table more like a ledger.

create table Trade_Details (

DetailID int identity primary key,

DetailDate datetime not null default(getdate()),

TradeID not null references dbo.Trades(TradeID),

TeamID int not null references dbo.Teams(TeamID),

PlayerID int null references dbo.Players(PlayerID),

PickID int null references dbo.Picks(PickID),

constraint CK_PlayerPick check

(PlayerID is not null and PickID is null

or

PlayerID is null and PickID is not null),

Direction char(1),

constraint CK_Direction check

(Direction in ('+','-'))

(The Direction column is simply due to the fact that players and picks can't be positive or negative, like money in a ledger can be.)

Then, if you have a three-part trade:

Joe comes from Team A to Team B

Pick1 goes to Team A

Bob goes to Team A from Team B, replacing Pick1

All of that goes under one TradeID, with entries for Joe as a minus for Team A and a plus for Team B (two separate rows), Pick1 as a plus for Team A (might want to do that as a minus for Team B, up to you), then finally Bob as a plus for Team A and a minus for Team B.

You can reconcile it by making sure that the number of plusses and minuses is equal for any given TradeID, you can query it pretty easily, etc.

Would that do what you need?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• When trades are done they typicaly are not even

team a might give team b 2 players for one pick

or any combination

I have a player table that has ID's for all the players

I also have a second table for draft picks

So each column in my table is to refernect those tables.

• That would still work with a ledger type structure. It's just an easier data structure to deal with, and it will do what you need on that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Im confused,

I dont understand how I would know what team a player or pick was traded to? What if it is a three team transaction? I also dont see how I can do a search on a team to find only trade ID's where that team has a transaction and then report the full contence of the trade. I have 16 teams trades being reported in this table. This table serves only as a trade history. Maybe I dont understand the ledger correctly.

• To find which team a player went to, you can query all trade details with that player ID, or you can join between details with + an - in the direction column and the same player ID.

To find all trades where a certain team was involved, select on the team ID, then return the whole trade ID.

Property of The Thread

• Ok but if

team a trades kenny to team b

team b trades jack to team c

and team c trades ben to team a

how will know who was traded to who?

• All of those go under one trade ID in the details table.

Let's say it's trade ID = 1.

select TeamID, PlayerID, Direction -- Raw data

from dbo.TradeDetails

where TradeID = 1

order by DetailDate

or

select Team, isnull(Player, Pick) as [Player/Pick], Direction, DetailDate as Traded

from dbo.TradeDetails

inner join dbo.Teams

on TradeDetails.TeamID = Teams.TeamID

left outer join dbo.Players

on TradeDetails.PlayerID = Players.PlayerID

left outer join dbo.Picks

on TradeDetails.PickID = Picks.PickID

where TradeID = 1

order by DetailDate

team a trades kenny to team b

team b trades jack to team c

and team c trades ben to team a

Team A will have an entry with Kenny as a minus (in direction)

Team B will have an entry with Kenny as a plus

Team B will have a minus for Jack

Team C will have a plus for Jack

Team C will have a minus for Ben

Team A will have a plus for Ben

All six rows will have TradeID 1. They will have dates on the rows, and so on.

A final query might look like:

select TradeID, Team, isnull(Player, Pick) as [Player/Pick], Direction,

DetailDate as Traded

from dbo.TradeDetails

inner join dbo.Teams

on TradeDetails.TeamID = Teams.TeamID

left outer join dbo.Players

on TradeDetails.PlayerID = Players.PlayerID

left outer join dbo.Picks

on TradeDetails.PickID = Picks.PickID

where TradeID in

(select TradeID

from dbo.TradeDetails

where TeamID = @TeamID_in -- input parameter

order by TradeID, DetailDate

That would give you all the trades that a particular team was involved in, based on an input parameter called "@TeamID_in". You could easily substitute PlayerID = @PlayerID_in and get all the trades, including teams to-and-from, for a particular player.

Property of The Thread

• Ok im catching on now but I am trying to create the table using your query and I am getting the following

Incorrect syntax near ')'.

in the last line. I am not familiar with the direction type. What am I doint wrong.

• "Direction" isn't a type. It's a column with type Char(1), and a constraint to make sure it's only either "+", or "-".

It looks like I missed a close-parentheses at the end of the table definition, and the data type for TradeID needs to be added (I'm assuming Int).

Property of The Thread

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply