Looping through data dable created by data adapter

• Sorry for the spamI asked this same question last night, not sure if it got posted or where it ended up)

using VB.NET 2005, SQL2K

experiance: SQL >>> 8 years, VB.NET >>> 3 months, VB6 >>> 2 years (2000 to 2002).

I have created a data adapter and bound it to a DataViewGrid. I can view/scan all the data no problems here. One of the columns hold the names of our production SQL Servers and I would like to loop through that column and get the server name, and use it to create a db connection string.

I have read a lot of documentation in the last couple of days (BOL, MSDN and too many websites:crying on how easy (it is) using a data adapter to get data from your database and how efficient it is, I understand the general idea but I seem to be missing something  >>> how to loop through the data table ??? <<<  what I'm looking for is a code snipit or maybe some detail I missed from the information overload.I tried to get it from the DataViewGrid but I seemed to be going around in circles, got dizzy fell down.

I know I can store the server names in an array, if so, how can I fill the array from the data adapter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Don't count what you do, do what counts.

SQL Draggon

• usually, you get a collection of rows from the datatable, and loop thru the rows:

Dim

dt As DataTable

Dim

a() As DataRow

Dim

dr As DataRow

Dim

SQL As String

dt = New DataTable

SQL = "SELECT * FROM SOMETABLE"

daHDS.LoadDataTable(SQL, dt)

a = dt.Select

For i = 0 To a.Length - 1

dr = a(i)

'do something with dr!SERVERNAME or dr("SERVERNAME") -- same thing two different syntaxes

next i

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• alternative way to loop if you want all the rows (dt is the datatable)

For Each row As DataRow In dt.Rows

'Do stuff with row

Next

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply