looping through INSERT results: what's the best way?

• I've got an (AFTER INSERT)  trigger that I want to:
    1) parse the (multi-row) INSERTED table, looking for a specific columns data(a string value)
    2) If a specific string is found, write out string data to another column in the table the trigger is acting on

I thought I had it working with a CURSOR, but was advised against it in favor of SET based...but I struggled to make that work
    properly.
    I've since been advised to utilise the OUTPUT function, with a temp table...

I'm just not sure the best way to handle "looping" through INSERTED table etc...?

Thanks much,
    Rich

• I guess u can try while loop instead of cursor.

• rgouette - Monday, March 27, 2017 8:48 AM

I've got an (AFTER INSERT)  trigger that I want to:
    1) parse the (multi-row) INSERTED table, looking for a specific columns data(a string value)
    2) If a specific string is found, write out string data to another column in the table the trigger is acting on

I thought I had it working with a CURSOR, but was advised against it in favor of SET based...but I struggled to make that work
    properly.
    I've since been advised to utilise the OUTPUT function, with a temp table...

I'm just not sure the best way to handle "looping" through INSERTED table etc...?

Thanks much,
    Rich

Can you share your original code with DDL, sample data and expected results? The column names and data don't need to be real, just something we can test on.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • You have not really provided enough detail.

Assuming the column to be updated is in the same row, try the following outline:

UPDATE Y
    SET YourUpdateColumn = 'WhatYouWantToUpdate'
    FROM YourTable Y
    WHERE EXISTS
    (
        SELECT *
        FROM inserted I
        WHERE Y.PK = I.PK
    )
        AND Y.YourSearchColumn = 'YourSearch';

• caojunhe24 - Monday, March 27, 2017 8:51 AM

I guess u can try while loop instead of cursor.

No, a WHILE loop suffers from the same performance issues as a cursor does.  Indeed, if anything, it may perform even worse.

John

• sorry for the lack of detail, here's what I tried:
       BEGIN
        UPDATE o
        SET generic_custom_description = i.order_no +' '+ RTrim(LTrim(SUBSTRING(i.extended_desc, CharIndex('Customer Bin:',i.extended_desc)+13,255)))
        FROM oe_line o
        INNER JOIN INSERTED i
        ON o.line_no = i.line_no
        WHERE o.extended_desc like '%Customer Bin:%'
        END

• rgouette - Monday, March 27, 2017 9:22 AM

sorry for the lack of detail, here's what I tried:
       BEGIN
        UPDATE o
        SET generic_custom_description = i.order_no +' '+ RTrim(LTrim(SUBSTRING(i.extended_desc, CharIndex('Customer Bin:',i.extended_desc)+13,255)))
        FROM oe_line o
        INNER JOIN INSERTED i
        ON o.line_no = i.line_no
        END

Post what I asked for, that piece of code doesn't help. Read the articles on my signature to know how to post what we need to help.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

FROM oe_line o
        INNER JOIN INSERTED i
        ON o.line_no = i.line_no

I doubt the PK of oe_line is line_no. It it likely to be something like order_no, line_no.
    Your JOIN should probably be:

FROM oe_line o
    INNER JOIN inserted i
    ON o.order_no = i.order_no
    AND o.line_no = i.line_no

sorry for the lack of detail, here's what I tried:
       BEGIN
        UPDATE o
        FROM oe_line o
        INNER JOIN INSERTED i
        ON o.line_no = i.line_no
        END

Can't you use a computed column? That's effectively what you are attempting to emulate in code.

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• Table with sample Data:

DROP TABLE #OE_LINE_RICH
    CREATE TABLE #OE_LINE_RICH(
     order_no       VARCHAR(8) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
    ,line_no       DECIMAL(19, 0) NOT NULL
    ,extended_desc     VARCHAR(255) NULL
    ,oe_hdr_uid      INTEGER NOT NULL
    ,generic_custom_description VARCHAR(255) NULL
    );
    INSERT INTO #OE_LINE_RICH(order_no,line_no,extended_desc,oe_hdr_uid,generic_custom_description) VALUES (1000001,1,'MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Some Bin Info',2,NULL);
    INSERT INTO #OE_LINE_RICH(order_no,line_no,extended_desc,oe_hdr_uid,generic_custom_description) VALUES (1000622,11,'MyExtendedDesc',3,NULL);
    INSERT INTO #OE_LINE_RICH(order_no,line_no,extended_desc,oe_hdr_uid,generic_custom_description) VALUES (1000012,2,'MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Some Bin Info',3,NULL);
    INSERT INTO #OE_LINE_RICH(order_no,line_no,extended_desc,oe_hdr_uid,generic_custom_description) VALUES (1000002,3,'MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Some Bin Info',3,NULL);
    INSERT INTO #OE_LINE_RICH(order_no,line_no,extended_desc,oe_hdr_uid,generic_custom_description) VALUES (1000003,12,'MyExtendedDesc',4,NULL);
    INSERT INTO #OE_LINE_RICH(order_no,line_no,extended_desc,oe_hdr_uid,generic_custom_description) VALUES (1000004,13,'MyExtendedDesc',5,NULL);
    INSERT INTO #OE_LINE_RICH(order_no,line_no,extended_desc,oe_hdr_uid,generic_custom_description) VALUES (1000005,14,'MyExtendedDesc',6,NULL);
    INSERT INTO #OE_LINE_RICH(order_no,line_no,extended_desc,oe_hdr_uid,generic_custom_description) VALUES (1000006,15,'MyExtendedDesc',7,NULL);
    INSERT INTO #OE_LINE_RICH(order_no,line_no,extended_desc,oe_hdr_uid,generic_custom_description) VALUES (1000007,16,'MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Some more Bin Info',8,NULL);
    INSERT INTO #OE_LINE_RICH(order_no,line_no,extended_desc,oe_hdr_uid,generic_custom_description) VALUES (1000008,17,'MyExtendedDesc',9,NULL);
    INSERT INTO #OE_LINE_RICH(order_no,line_no,extended_desc,oe_hdr_uid,generic_custom_description) VALUES (1000009,18,'MyExtendedDesc',10,NULL);
    INSERT INTO #OE_LINE_RICH(order_no,line_no,extended_desc,oe_hdr_uid,generic_custom_description) VALUES (1000019,29,'MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Even More Bin Info',10,NULL);

Expected results:

+==========+=========+============================================+============+============================+
    | order_no | line_no |     extended_desc      | oe_hdr_uid | generic_custom_description |
    +==========+=========+============================================+============+============================+
    | 1000001 |   1 | MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Some Bin Info |    2 | Some Bin Info|
    +----------+---------+--------------------------------------------+------------+----------------------------+
    | 1000002 |   3 | MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Some Bin Info |    3 | Some Bin Info|
    +----------+---------+--------------------------------------------+------------+----------------------------+
    | 1000003 |  12 | MyExtendedDesc          |    4 | NULL        |
    | 1000004 |  13 | MyExtendedDesc          |    5 | NULL        |
    | 1000005 |  14 | MyExtendedDesc          |    6 | NULL        |
    | 1000006 |  15 | MyExtendedDesc          |    7 | NULL        |
    | 1000007 |  16 | MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Some Bin Info |    8 | Some Bin Info|
    | 1000008 |  17 | MyExtendedDesc          |    9 | NULL        |
    | 1000009 |  18 | MyExtendedDesc          |   10 | NULL        |
    | 1000012 |   2 | MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Some Bin Info |    3 | Some Bin Info|
    | 1000019 |  29 | MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Some Bin Info |   10 | Some Bin Info |
    | 1000622 |  11 | MyExtendedDesc          |    3 | NULL        |

What I've tried:

BEGIN
      UPDATE o
      FROM oe_line o
      INNER JOIN INSERTED i
      ON o.line_no = i.line_no
      END

• Ken McKelvey - Monday, March 27, 2017 10:50 AM

rgouette - Monday, March 27, 2017 9:22 AM

FROM oe_line o
        INNER JOIN INSERTED i
        ON o.line_no = i.line_no

I doubt the PK of oe_line is line_no. It it likely to be something like order_no, line_no.
    Your JOIN should probably be:

FROM oe_line o
    INNER JOIN inserted i

You might be onto something, since I'm seeing 2 PK's
    order_no
    and
    line_no

I'll look into that..
    thx,
    Rich

• The update seems to be working correctly with the sample data. The results don't match but that's only because you're adding the order number to the description.

CREATE TABLE OE_LINE_RICH(
    order_no   VARCHAR(8) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
    ,line_no   DECIMAL(19, 0) NOT NULL
    ,extended_desc  VARCHAR(255) NULL
    ,oe_hdr_uid   INTEGER NOT NULL
    ,generic_custom_description VARCHAR(255) NULL
    );
    GO
    CREATE TRIGGER TI_OE_LINE_RICH ON OE_LINE_RICH
    AFTER INSERT
    AS
    UPDATE o
    FROM OE_LINE_RICH o
    INNER JOIN INSERTED i
    GO
    INSERT INTO OE_LINE_RICH(order_no,line_no,extended_desc,oe_hdr_uid,generic_custom_description)
    VALUES
       (1000001,1,'MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Some Bin Info',2,NULL)
       ,(1000002,3,'MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Some Bin Info',3,NULL)
       ,(1000003,12,'MyExtendedDesc',4,NULL)
       ,(1000004,13,'MyExtendedDesc',5,NULL)
       ,(1000005,14,'MyExtendedDesc',6,NULL)
       ,(1000006,15,'MyExtendedDesc',7,NULL)
       ,(1000007,16,'MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Some more Bin Info',8,NULL)
       ,(1000008,17,'MyExtendedDesc',9,NULL)
       ,(1000009,18,'MyExtendedDesc',10,NULL)
       ,(1000012,2,'MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Some Bin Info',3,NULL)
       ,(1000019,29,'MyExtendedDesc Customer Bin: Even More Bin Info',10,NULL)
       ,(1000622,11,'MyExtendedDesc',3,NULL);
    GO
    SELECT *
    FROM OE_LINE_RICH
    GO
    DROP TABLE OE_LINE_RICH;

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply