Lost connection on linked servers

• Hi everyone!  This last weekend, the IT dude at my company made aq switch of servers.  Renamed the new one with same name/IP address so that it was a flawless smooth switch unbeknownst to all.  Well, all the linked server connections were lost.  I don't know much about linked servers, so I am asking my friends here is you can help me.  All the connections are still under the security tab, but when you click on them it says different error messages about lost connections, etc.  Any help is appreciated!!  Thanks in advance!!! 

Thank you!!,

Angelindiego

• If the linkedservers were setup to use remote login then you can drop and recreate them. You can execute sp_helplinkedsrvlogin to find out remote logins.

• Thank you!!  I am on it!! 

Thank you!!,

Angelindiego

• ok, I deleted out one of the (not working) linked servers.  I tried to recreate a new one and got this error:

Error 18452:Login failed for user '(null)'.  Reason: not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. 

Thank you!!,

Angelindiego

• What type of connection is the linked server trying to make?

Is SQL running under the same account it was before the server changes?  ie, did you change from local system to a network account or a new network account?  If you are trying to log in via the linked server using the current logged on users credentials it sounds like the new server isn't able to impersonate (kerberos issue) and the log in to the server is failing.

• Thank you Jane, I will go do some investigating!!

Thank you!!,

Angelindiego

• If this does appear to be right path, SPNs are a critical piece of this as well as enabling the account that runs SQL to impersonate.  Changing the SQL service account can affect this and you might have to manually change your SPNs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply