Lost the DMK password!!

• Dear Everyone

We are upgrading our SP application and database from SP2010 to SP2013 and our databases from 2008 to 2016.

However the application team doesnt have the DMK passwords only the files and certificates.

When they try to install the RBS client on the new machine and point to the restored SP databases they get the error attached.

I obviously cant open the database as i dont have the password and i cant drop the encryption again since i dont have a password.

A solution i already tried and worked was to do the following:

Regenerate the password using force:

1. Alter Master Key FORCE RegenerateWith Encryption By Password = '**********'

2. Drop the signatures on the objects which have signatures on them

3. Drop the certificates

4. Drop the DMK

5. Generate a new DMK

Another solution i have to test is if i restore the master database from production on the next simulation database it might allow the SMK to open the DMK on the SP database but what guarantee will it give us that the RBS applicaton wont ask for the DMK password later.

Is there another method which is easier or is this the only route to resolve this issue as well have to do this for all SP databases and i dont know if any data will be lost in the process!!

Kal

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• You have to call Microsoft since you have SharePoint support.

They will generate new keys for you.

Alex S

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply