Lost the MDF, have the LDF

• Yeah, thanks, Dalec for your insight. I wasn't shifting the blame to the NetAdmin (did I hit a nerve, though?), I was implying that I made the mistake of assuming that someone else would do his job; in doing so, I failed to adequately do my job and cost myself a couple of days' worth of work. The lesson was learned. I was also hoping to impart to those who would shirk the responsibility for their backups onto their NetAdmins that it's perhaps a bad idea and that they should be doing it themselves.

• Sorry, you have misperceived the intention of my comment. My intention is to get you to understand the importance of backing up the database and transaction log to disk. Believe me, like I said before, I've been there, done that. I'm no perfect angel. That's why I am experienced enough to try to persuade anyone in the art of proper disaster recovery.

By the way, through all the postings on this topic, I still am not getting the warm fuzzy feeling that you are backing up your MDF to a separate disk somewhere as well as tape. I hope that's not the case. If it is, then it's time you START doing that. Don't just be backing up your Transaction Log to disk. Why were you backing up the T Log and not doing Full Backup in the first place? That seems really bizarre to me. That's what I meant by blameshifting. To me, you were at fault for not backing up to disk when you had the chance. You obviously had enough time and sense to do it for your log. Sorry, man, I'm just calling it as I see it. I hope I don't make an enemy out of you 'cause you've already suffered enough grief over losing the database in the first place.

• Point taken. And I'm not offended... no autopsy, no foul.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply