Mail Profile creation without Outlook Client

• By looking at the following KB article you can set up SQL MAIL profiles without an Outlook Client.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306962

Has anyone every used this method to support creating SQL Mail profiles, without an outlook client?  If so what are the issues?

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• Well, I just tried option 2 (Profman2.exe - MAPI Profile Manager v2.0) on a Windows Server 2003 SQL Server without Exchange or Outlook installed. The program profman.exe failed to create a new profile, but did not show or log any error message.

I even tried doing a new build (though i am not a C++ programmer). When I ran the new build, the Debug output window said "MAPIInitialize() call failed!". Probably there is some prerequisite that I missed.

• Thanks for trying this out.   If you figure out what went wrong please let us know.

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• "A common misconception is that a MAPI client (for example, Microsoft Outlook or the Exchange Client) must be installed on an Exchange Server in order to create MAPI profiles. Installing a MAPI client for this reason is unnecessary, and in the case of Outlook, is not recommended for production servers. As long as a MAPI subsystem is installed (and in the case of Exchange, there is), there is a variety of other ways to create MAPI profiles."

Yes, you need to first have MAPI installed.

• You can do this by installing the Exchange admin tools first, but you then have to tweak mapisvc.inf. I think that KB article is the one with the instructions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply