Maint Plan not deleting old TRN files

• We are having problems with our Maintenance Plan not deleting TRN files older than x days. The maint plan is set to delete .TRN files older than 2 days.

We have 2 separate plans set up - one for system db's (SIMPLE Recovery Model) and one for user db's (FULL Recovery Model).

The maint plan backing up the FULL recovery model db's is the one that does not delete the old TRN files

The .BAK files are being deleted after 2 days so it shouldn't be a permissions problem.

I have read elsewhere on other forums that you can re-do your MP to resolve this problem, however, we see this problem exhibiting on 4 different servers so i'm loathe to believe it's the Maintenance Plan.

I also know that if you have Offline databases, the backups will not delete correctly, however, we do not have any databases set to Offline.

We are running SQL Server 2000 SP4 on Windows 2003 and SQL Server 2000 SP3 on Windows 2000

I have been battling with this for longer than i care to think about.

Please, can anyone help?

• Try changing the maintenance plan so that it deletes files older than 48 hours, instead of 2 days.  I can vaguely remember coming across problems when using the "days" option so I've always resorted to using "hours" instead.

• Thanks so much for posting back to me!

I've changed all my Maint Plans so will wait a couple of days and see how it goes.

• There may be a case where your transaction log backups itself are not working. If the job fails for some reason, it will not delete your old backups.

--Kishore

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply