Maint. Plan re:Indexes

• Is there a rule of thumb or preferred method for maintaining Indexes on application package? What I mean is should you not drop/recreate the indexes on a third party database? I've heard there can be a problem; best to run update statistics.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I see nothing wrong with running MS supplied procedures like DBCC DBREINDEX or DBCC INDEXDEFRAG followed by UPDATE STATISTICS. As you add and remove records this is something that should be done to improve performance Update statistics by itself is only a partial solution. If what you heard was a warning not to used DROP INDEX and CREATE INDEX statements on 3rd party apps, then fine, but the use of DBCC utilities is acceptable.

Francis

• Thanks!

quote:

I see nothing wrong with running MS supplied procedures like DBCC DBREINDEX or DBCC INDEXDEFRAG followed by UPDATE STATISTICS. As you add and remove records this is something that should be done to improve performance Update statistics by itself is only a partial solution. If what you heard was a warning not to used DROP INDEX and CREATE INDEX statements on 3rd party apps, then fine, but the use of DBCC utilities is acceptable.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply