Maintenance plan backup issue

• Hi all,

trying to re-create maintenance plan for backup on SQL 2005. Adding backup task, then if I double click on it, getting this error

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

Cannot show the editor for this task.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Absolute path information is required. (mscorlib)

BUTTONS:

OK

if I delete job and plan, trying to create new one, adding that task again, it will pick up all old info from deleted step. strange...same error. bounced SQL server, then rebooted server, no effect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

• Try this from different workstations and from the server directly. Do you still get the same error?

What edition & version (including service packs) of SQL Server are you using?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• thanks for response.

sql 2005 standard SP 2 on the server Win 2003.

yes, it does it both worksations and server.

• someone, please help!!

• Sorry, I was out of the office and didn't get to respond until now.

What version of client tools is the workstation using? And did you say that you logged directly into the server to try this?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Check the version of your management tool and your database server. You will probably find that your managemet tools need a service pack.

• Hi, thanks for responses, still having same issue 🙁

Updated sql server to SP 3, did not help. So, Management studio on my PC older then on the server right now. However, I able to open backup task on my PC and edit, but not on the server. Same error on the server, Absolute path information is required.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

thank you

• pobeda (5/22/2010)

Updated sql server to SP 3, did not help. So, Management studio on my PC older then on the server right now.

This is why we asked about versions. Workstation tools should to be the same version, or a future version, as what's on your server. Otherwise, there tends to be issues. SP2 doesn't "know" about the SP3 fixes, so you'll need to upgrade your client tools to match.

However, I able to open backup task on my PC and edit, but not on the server. Same error on the server, Absolute path information is required.

Unfortunately, we're working in a dearth of information here. Have you checked your Event Viewer, SQL Agent Log, etc. for further error messages around the same time you're doing this?

Are you using the local accounts for service accounts or a domain user?

Do you have any third party backup tools installed on your server?

• ok, thanks for you reply.

here is as much inof as I can find:

1) lets forget about workstations for now, the only place it does not actually works is the server.

2) I use domain account for services

3) Nothing in Event viewer or SQL Log at the time of error, however, I am getting this message in sql log 5-6 times a day

05/24/2010 04:00:04,spid15s,Unknown,SQL Server has encountered 1 occurrence(s) of cachestore flush for the 'Bound Trees' cachestore (part of plan cache) due to some database maintenance or reconfigure operations.

05/24/2010 04:00:04,spid15s,Unknown,SQL Server has encountered 1 occurrence(s) of cachestore flush for the 'SQL Plans' cachestore (part of plan cache) due to some database maintenance or reconfigure operations.

05/24/2010 04:00:04,spid15s,Unknown,SQL Server has encountered 1 occurrence(s) of cachestore flush for the 'Object Plans' cachestore (part of plan cache) due to some database maintenance or reconfigure operations.

I am not sure it it's related somehow.

All other Maintenance Plans work fine. Also, in a backup task I specified share on different server as backup destination (e.g.\\server2\share). Share is available and I can explore it just fine.

here is screenshot of that backup task from my workstation:

http://www.image-share.com/ipng-260-150.html

Thank you again

• Sorry, my company blocks that site. Can you attach the image to your next post?

• pobeda (5/24/2010)

3) Nothing in Event viewer or SQL Log at the time of error, however, I am getting this message in sql log 5-6 times a day

05/24/2010 04:00:04,spid15s,Unknown,SQL Server has encountered 1 occurrence(s) of cachestore flush for the 'Bound Trees' cachestore (part of plan cache) due to some database maintenance or reconfigure operations.

05/24/2010 04:00:04,spid15s,Unknown,SQL Server has encountered 1 occurrence(s) of cachestore flush for the 'SQL Plans' cachestore (part of plan cache) due to some database maintenance or reconfigure operations.

05/24/2010 04:00:04,spid15s,Unknown,SQL Server has encountered 1 occurrence(s) of cachestore flush for the 'Object Plans' cachestore (part of plan cache) due to some database maintenance or reconfigure operations.

I am not sure it it's related somehow.

Unrelated. That's referring to some operation that caused a flush of the various caches.

Restores, taking a DB offline, some sp_configure option changes will cause those messages. Backups don't.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • image attached

• Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Been busy at work.

On that screen shot you took, you forgot to check a box right above the path information you're using. "Create a sub-directory for each database" must be checked in order to use that folder entry box.

• I did that using my workstation, went on the server and same error came up while opening database backup task in maintenance plan

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply