Maintenance Plan Failing

• Has anyone ever seen this?

I've a maintenance plan that backsup master, msdb and one other db with verification. All db's are backed up successfully  however, the job fails and when I viewMaintenance History, all steps show success. However, I have this line at the end of the report generated by the plan:

End of maintenance plan <Plan Name> on 3/17/2005 1:32:35 PM

SQLMAINT.EXE Process Exit Code: 1 (Failed).

I have additional steps that I would like to run after the plan. I COULD just tell the paln to go to next step on completion but am curios why it's failing.

tia,

dab

• Try re-creating the maintenance plan. I did see this behavior a while back but have not come across this in a while.

• If you have the 'Remove Files older than' option checked and if Sql server does not have permissions to delete, you could get this error.

• I think it might give you a more descriptive error when it tries to delete the files than just an exit code of 1. Does the report show an attempt to delete the  backup files ?

• I think I may have a corrupt MSDE install. I recreated the maintenance plan and omitted the "Remove files older than" steps since the selection box for "Month(s), Week(s), Day(s)" etc. is empty and I received an "Error converting data type int" when I tried to save the plan. Since the steps I want to add to the job are part of a log shipping and archive plan, I am now controlling when files are deleted with these new steps.

Thanks everyone,

dab

• Any chance you had recently deleted a database?  If a database is included in a maintenance plan that does not have any of the "all databases" options checked (the databases are selected individually) and that database is deleted, it falls to the bottom of the database list in the maintenance plan and needs to be unchecked for the maintenance plan to succeed.  I have seen this produce successful job runs in the maintenance plan history, yet been notifed of the job having failed when this has been the case.  If this were the case, recreating the maintenance plan would have also solved the problem.

• There were no deleted databases in the list. It has always been master, msdb and the product database.

dab

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply