Maintenance Plan Report to UNC Path

• Hi there,

Is it possible to write SQL Server 2000 maintenance plans to a UNC path instead of the local drive. I'm trying to harvest the logs from a large number of servers to a single network share.

Cheers,

Ian.

• I would say the easiest way to find out is to try it.  It should work for you.

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Hi John,

Your words are wise

I ran a test last night and it would initially appear that SQL 2000 works fine with UNC log paths whereas SQL7 seems to have had a bit of a hiccup!

If I can get SQL7 working I'll let you know how for future reference.

Ian.

• What about using a mapped drive letter to the UNC path? Have you tried that for SQL 7?

• I would be careful using mapped drives.  You get issues with trying to use the same drive letter for users logged in on the console and for services.  These arise when one of these has the drive letter mapped and then the other attempts to map the drive and can't.  Doesn't matter which account is first to map the drive, the second account to try to map the drive will fail. 

I suggest you spend some time trying to resolve the error you are getting with SQL 7.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply