Maintenance Plan Review

• Alas, no. I've been learning about Team Foundation Server, Workspaces, Solutions, Branches, and Projects. I was sitting here this morning feeling all twitchy about that an other administration tasks that are being neglected. Not much I can do about it for now as I will be in development meetings all day.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm weighing my comfort level vs the issue of working for free--as in spending time on that is not on my current task list here as a contractor and I have a small avalanche of development work cascading down on me.

And yes, I do know I'm treading on thin ice. Grrrrr!

• I jotted down some ideas. This is meant as a cheat sheet, not really an entire game plan. (read: "your mileage may vary")

[font="Courier New"]

Pre-disaster prep

- Document the current server edition and build, and service accounts used.

- Have the install media and any service pack/hotfix installs on a disk and ready to use

- Have the backups stored somewhere [other than the local server] (including system db backups)

Welcome to your disaster.

0. Preparation

a. Stand up the new server, named for the old one, with identical drive mappings.

b. Install SQL Server

c. Apply any service packs/hotfixes to upgrade to [the current server build]

d. It may help to copy all backup files locally, but not necessary as long as you have UNC access.

*** If you [do] copy them locally, make sure they are in the same location as the old server ***

1. Execute the following commands in a Command Window:

a. NET STOP SQLSERVERAGENT

b. NET STOP MSSQLSERVER

c. Find SQLSERVER.EXE

d. Execute in a Command Window, navigate to the location of SQLSERVER.EXE:

SQLSERVR.EXE -s MSSQLSERVER -c -m

e. Execute in a second Command Window:

SQLCMD -S . -Q"RESTORE DATABASE [master] FROM DISK = '<path>\master.BAK' WITH REPLACE" -E

(SQL Server will terminate after MASTER is loaded)

f. NET START MSSQLSERVER

g. NET START SQLSERVERAGENT

h. Create local folders where all SQL data and log files used to be.

This gets you the master db with all your logins. SQL Server will bark about each database you [had] on the server. If you copied the .BAK files locally to the same location as they used to be in, your best bet would be to use the GUI to restore msdb next, then start restoring the databases at that point. If not, use the GUI to restore the databases from the files as they are available on the UNC path. Remember to use transaction log backup files when applicable and available.

[/font]

I hope this covers it but I'm sure a few other posters may have input as well...

(Numbered steps: good. Starting the count at zero: geeky <lol>)

• Thanks, that is great to have. The SQL Server is at a co-lo but they are being very dodgy about the level of service--which is at the lowest level they offer, I believe. Looks like its just disaster alerts (system down), patches, & updates. Hopefully if it truly went down they would be standing up the new box (virtual, I presume), doing the install of the server, etc. Not so sure about restoring the server to prior function by restoring the .baks. I might very well get it with just SQL Server raw install.

I'll sleep better having this at hand.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply