Maintenance Plans

• Dear collogues,

I encountered and interesting trivia question. The initial database name in question has had lower case (NewDatabase) then when I restored it I placed it in upper case (NEWDATABASE) Well the existing maintenance plan before the restore,reflected both the old name and new restored name in Caps. NewDatbase is checked and is backing up nightly, however NEWDATABASE is not checked, which is fine.

Question: When I run the following query in msdb

SELECT plan_name, database_name

FROM msdb.dbo.sysdbmaintplans

INNER JOIN msdb.dbo.sysdbmaintplan_databases

ON msdb.dbo.sysdbmaintplans.plan_id = msdb.dbo.sysdbmaintplan_databases.plan_id

Result set:

plan_name database_name

------------------------------ ------------------------------

DB Maintenance Plan master

DB Maintenance Plan model

DB Maintenance Plan msdb

DB Maintenance Plan NewDatabase

DB Maintenance Plan ProjectDB

Why do I not see NEWDATBASE? How does it reflect in the maintenance plan but not here ? As expected if I created a new maintenance plan NewDatabase is no longer an option , just NEWDATABASE with caps.

ReshadIT@hotmail.com

• The probable reason for this might be the update of the table msdb.dbo.sysdbmaintplans do not happne when you restore the database.

When first you have created the maintenance plan it's taking the name from sysdatabases. After restore name in sysdatabases changes and when you create the new plan it's in cap.

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• I agree with you that the information is taken from sysdbmaintplans and also enterntain the thought that the update from the system table did not occur, however the observation that crushes that thought is that after the restore the maintaince plans reflects the new database with upper case and also reflects the same database with its prior name in lower case. How would it see the restore name if it is not updating? :hehe:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply