Make Schema Changes on Publication Databases

• Hi,

I currently need to make a number of schema changes to a database that is set up for replication (Transactional) the schema changes include alter columns, add new columns , add new constraints / indexes.

When trying to I get errors like cannot edit table as it been set for replication.

I need a way of making these changes without effect the replication, the option off removing the replication and re adding is not a option due to the high volumes of data.

Thank you

• Suth (8/12/2016)

Hi,

I currently need to make a number of schema changes to a database that is set up for replication (Transactional) the schema changes include alter columns, add new columns , add new constraints / indexes.

When trying to I get errors like cannot edit table as it been set for replication.

I need a way of making these changes without effect the replication, the option off removing the replication and re adding is not a option due to the high volumes of data.

Thank you

You can't make changes to publication databases using SSMS. You need to make the changes using T-SQL or SMO and some changes just can't be made with dropping/recreating the publication (e.g. Primary keys).

Have a look at Make Schema Changes on Publication Databases.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply